PDA

View Full Version : Q8 suited in Big Blind

ptmusic
04-05-2005, 10:21 PM
Okay, I made some dubious plays, that much I know. But which plays were dubious, and which were good? Go ahead and hit me with your best.... I can take it.

MP is a maniac. CO is tight preflop, but overly aggressive postflop.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

I don't consider it too loose to call this preflop.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Over-aggressive on my part? Enough outs to continue at all?

Turn: (10.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Should I have bet right out? Folded here (unimproved)?

River: (16.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Probably beat, but I do have a piece of a big pot.... (I'll reveal results later).

Final Pot: 19.25 BB

Your thoughts on all streets, please.

Thanks,

ptmusic

bakku
04-05-2005, 10:25 PM
played like a true lag..then a calling station.

PF is fine.

PassiveCaller
04-05-2005, 10:36 PM
PF is fine.. you have exactly the type of players who will give you action.

but the rest is yuck,yuck,yuck.

Your options were to Bet out, or check-fold once the action is like that. 3-betting or cold-calling 2 on the flop here sucks big time. Who knows if your outs are even clean and this is a pretty ugly situation.

Once we go lag on the flop... The turn is an _easy_ fold.

ptmusic
04-05-2005, 11:22 PM
On flop: I was trying for a check-raise. I thought I had a decent drawing hand, with a pair, a gutshot, an overcard, and a backdoor flush. True, not all of those were full outs, but I still had about 6 outs.

Following SSHE advice, I thought I'd try to drive out the utg+1 player to protect my outs - with a checkraise.

When the CO raised, I thought it was a reraise or fold situation.

I agree with the turn fold recommendation.

River call?
-ptmusic

PassiveCaller
04-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Trying to thin field isn't bad but when it doesn't work going lag isn't going to help...

I fold the river since it's likely to end up as an overcall given the action and you'll need a lot better odds then if you were headsup.

Moozh
04-06-2005, 03:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On flop: I was trying for a check-raise. I thought I had a decent drawing hand, with a pair, a gutshot, an overcard, and a backdoor flush. True, not all of those were full outs, but I still had about 6 outs.

Following SSHE advice, I thought I'd try to drive out the utg+1 player to protect my outs - with a checkraise.

When the CO raised, I thought it was a reraise or fold situation.

I agree with the turn fold recommendation.

River call?
-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your queen outs are worthless here, but you can probably give youself 6 for the gutshot + trips. There's a chance you split if you hit your straight, but perhaps your backdoor flush will counter that. It comes back to you a bit worse than 6:1 on the flop. The odds of hitting a six outer on the turn are about 7:1. If you think you can get to the river cheap, maybe you stick around, but on this board with this action, I let it go.

You're getting the same 6:1 odds on the turn without your backdoor and only one card to come. Fold.

I guess you can call the river...

ThePenguin
04-06-2005, 05:07 AM
Fold the turn. You lost your backdoor flush draw, which seems to be your best chance of winning the pot outright. I think you are probably splitting the pot if a J comes, and your two 8 outs are possibly beaten too. Yes the pot is large, but can you expect to win this one enough to make it a correct call down? I doubt it.

ptmusic
04-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Results:

Final Pot: 19.25 BB

Hero has Qd 8d (one pair, eights).
MP1 has Kc Jc (one pair, kings).
CO has 8h 8s (three of a kind, eights).
Outcome: CO wins 19.25 BB. </font>

I think PF was good, flop should have been a fold (but checkraise would have been okay if it had only been 1 bet to me), turn definite fold, river call (I might be the only caller).

-ptmusic