PDA

View Full Version : Make This All-In Preflop Call w/JJ?

EasilyFound
04-05-2005, 08:33 PM
On this hand, I'd like you to be my opponent. This is hand 5 at level four. If you've been at the table and paying attention, you have observed that this is the first hand I've played all tourney. Do you call here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t610)
Button (t1095)
SB (t870)
BB (t1485)
Hero (t670)
UTG+1 (t1555)
MP1 (t1255)
MP2 (t460)

[b]Preflop: MP 1 has J /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t670 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 ???</font>

lastchance
04-05-2005, 08:37 PM
This is level 3. And what buying is this at?

deacsoft
04-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Under the circumstances I could lay down J-J here.

adanthar
04-05-2005, 08:40 PM
I would shrug, call it every time, and then shrug again when I probably beat your TT-88 or AK.

Also, this is by no means the first hand you've played all tourney, and it's not level 4.

Peter Chabot
04-05-2005, 08:44 PM
what buy-in is it?

regardless, i'm thinking that perhaps you're raising so much b/c you have 77-TT or something like that? or perhaps you have AK and want to either see all 5 cards or just take the 75 in the pot? so, i think my JJ is quite possibly good.

and i'd fold.

EasilyFound
04-05-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is level 3. And what buying is this at?

[/ QUOTE ]
U r correct. Sorry. Just an $11 SNG. That's my domain.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, this is by no means the first hand you've played all tourney

[/ QUOTE ]

u guys are good. once again correct. i called a single bet raise from the bb. but otherwise, i've not voluntarily put any money into the pot nor made any other bets when the action was to me.

beeyjay
04-05-2005, 11:27 PM
I call you because I'm playing the 11s and thus it is more likely than not that I think of JJ as an uber supreme hand. Simiarly it is more likely than not that I haven't been paying attention enough to realize you haven't played any hands.

Bottom line -- don't rely on your image to drag pots in low limit sngs.

2nd to bottom line -- you're a better player than you're opponent so don't turn it into a game of luck by pushing when you have 13 bbs. I would assume you had 9s, 10s, or Js here. maybe even qs if youre a tightwad. have the stones to limp with them with this many chips.

Apathy
04-05-2005, 11:40 PM
People rarely push for over 10BBs with a premium pair, I would call almost anyone at almost any level party offers given the stack sizes here. (8000 chip structure)

EasilyFound
04-05-2005, 11:41 PM
The replies have been very interesting in analyzing what hand I would have here to push with. Because nobody mentioned the hand that I did have, KK. So now I wonder whether the push was a bad play, and the better play would have been to put in a smaller raise. Flame away.

Roman
04-05-2005, 11:44 PM
I call every time, and you should raise smaller.

ReDeYES88
04-06-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On this hand, I'd like you to be my opponent. This is hand 5 at level four. If you've been at the table and paying attention, you have observed that this is the first hand I've played all tourney. Do you call here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t610)
Button (t1095)
SB (t870)
BB (t1485)
Hero (t670)
UTG+1 (t1555)
MP1 (t1255)
MP2 (t460)

[b]Preflop: MP 1 has J /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t670 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 ???</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

. .. .i'm sorry . .i was 4 tabling and a bit distracted. . .did you say something?.. ..

EasilyFound
04-06-2005, 12:11 AM
I get it, I get it . . . sorry . . . I can only play one table at a time . . . sometimes I forget I'm not like everybody else . . .

Peter Chabot
04-06-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The replies have been very interesting in analyzing what hand I would have here to push with. Because nobody mentioned the hand that I did have, KK. So now I wonder whether the push was a bad play, and the better play would have been to put in a smaller raise. Flame away.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm more curious as to what YOUR rationale was for pushing 13BB at this stage with KK. i don't see what your thinking could have been at all... why not raise it up 3-4BB here instead? this 'standard' raise must be &gt; $EV than pushing here, even at the 11s.

curtains
04-06-2005, 08:13 PM
I would call. Most players don't open allin for 650 here with AA-QQ. However plenty do with hands like TT-88, AJ and if you have AK or AQ its not the end of the world by any means.

If the blinds were 50-100 this would be a very easy call.

EasilyFound
04-06-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm more curious as to what YOUR rationale was for pushing 13BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Who knows. I just did it. I guess you are right. A smaller raise is the better play here. Sometimes I forget this is poker and not push (another dealer's choice game that I'm very fond of, by the way, but that's another story).

So, from what I gather by reading the boards, if you are above the 10xBB, then you just play solid poker. Once you get under 10xBB, then you go into push mode. Is that accurate?

If so, too bad I didn't recongize that in the home tourney where I just played, loosing a large part of my stack pushing Q7 (suited, of course) to steal some BB.

Reading this board and understanding the concept of pushing to steal blinds at the higher blind levels has helped my game tremendously. But there are times when I resort to it before it is appropriate. I guess this KK hand is an example.

So, 10xBB is the cutoff? Or is it something smaller? I read in a book that 4-5xBB is the panic point. But seems like, for people hear, you start pushing between those two numbers. Am I correct?

curtains
04-06-2005, 09:25 PM
It depends on the situation and the hand you have. There are cases where you might want to open push with over 10x the BB, and there are cases where you might want to raise less with under 7-8x the BB. There are no hard and fast rules that always apply.