PDA

View Full Version : playing overcards to the flop a basic question

Sinnister
04-05-2005, 07:27 PM
hello again people, i notice a big leak in my game is laying down ak and aq when i miss the flop completely, probably because i see so many people go to far with them.
My question is how far should i stay with them and what odds to i need to call. To my knowledge it was 5 to 1 and if i dont hit should i release at the turn. Playing overcards correctly will really help my game any advice is appreciated

J.R.
04-05-2005, 07:35 PM
buy small stakes hold'em by ed miller. if you already have, read it.

djr
04-05-2005, 08:03 PM
this may be a basic question but the answer is quite complex. It depends on # of opponents, position, reads, and who bet before you. In general, treat overcards (including AK/AQ) as a weak holding with weak improvement potential (e.g. 3-4 outs not 6), you might be able to bluff with them but personally I won't go past the turn against multiple opponents unless I have improved.

FishHooks
04-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Usually you need about 9.5:1 odds to call a bet with overcards.

Sinnister
04-05-2005, 08:41 PM
thanks 4 the reply, and for the guy who told me to read ssh thanks but if u knew the answer u could just kinda tell me like fish ty fish

shant
04-05-2005, 08:55 PM
The chapter called "Overcards" in SSH will help you.

Hoi Polloi
04-05-2005, 09:01 PM
We're always telling each other to read that book. Don't take it personally. Read SSH in the morning and the bible before bed (if you're having trouble sleeping /images/graemlins/smirk.gif )

Good luck with the overcards.