PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Monitor Problem

nuSFwck
04-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Ok so I have been using a pretty standard Sony Vaio laptop for about 8 months, multi-tabling the 2-4NL on party. I have a nice NEC monitor that I occassionally hook up to this beast so I can fit 2 tables on the screen without overlap.

When I do this, I only use the NEC monitor to play on Party...I use the Vaio screen for PT-or whatever other programs I have running. I'm getting ready to increase the number of tables I play to 4, and I think I need a second independent monitor to achieve this.

I'd ideally like to run two independent monitors, use a separate keyboard and mouse pad, and be able to fold up my laptop and hide it in the corner of the desk.

First, is it a waste of money to get another monitor for the exclusive purpose of being able to operate 4 tables without any overlap?

Second, what kind of adapter do I need to get for my laptop so I can plug in 2 monitors to the back of the computer? (It's possible, I assume?)

I'm somewhat of a computer retard so any advice that can be offered would be greatly appreciated. Let me know.

deacsoft
04-05-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First, is it a waste of money to get another monitor for the exclusive purpose of being able to operate 4 tables without any overlap?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it is (for 4 or more tables). However, if you're only looking to run 4 tables try setting your screen resolution to 1600x1200. There should be no overlap one only 1 screen with 4 tables.

[ QUOTE ]
Second, what kind of adapter do I need to get for my laptop so I can plug in 2 monitors to the back of the computer? (It's possible, I assume?)

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know there is no adapter/splitter for running dual monitors from a single computer. You'll probably need to pick up a second video card.

nuSFwck
04-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the advice, Deac.

I'm gonna mess with the resolution and see if I can get it figured out.

Appreciate the response.

Vince Lepore
04-05-2005, 07:18 PM
You can run two monitors from most laptops. You do not need a splitter or different video card than the one that come with the laptop. I say most because I'm not sure when this feature first became available on laptops.

Vince

Vince Lepore
04-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Sorry i miss read the question. I thought you just wanted to add a monitor and use the laptop monitor also. As for the separate key board. A wireless keyboard will work. I have a docking station for my HP an use a WL keyboard and WL mouse. Both are great accessories. Hmmm... I wonder if the docking station would allow for two additional monitors. I'll check it out. Sony might make a dock that allows this I don't know. BTE- I bought my Dock on ebay and saved over $100.

Vince

Vince

nuSFwck
04-06-2005, 01:36 AM
Yeah I'm thinking about running TWO independent monitors off my laptop and using a docking system or whatever to hide the laptop in the corner of my desk. I'm hoping splitters are made for this sort of thing, think I could find one at BestBuy or maybe on online? I'll take a peek around...