PDA

View Full Version : Went for the Limp ,Re-raise and missed, what to do with QQ

Cleveland Guy
04-05-2005, 04:48 PM
I have been working on my UTG play with big pairs and big slick. I usually don't slow play them, but have been trying to get more value, and using the limp/re-raise technique. The table had been more aggresive than this passive hand would show, and I felt I could get in a raise from a LP guy thinking there was weakness around the table.

Pokerroom $20 +2

9 Left Blinds are 15/30

I'm doing this from memory, so I don't have all the chip stacks, but there was 2 guys over 2,500 - 1 guy under 500, and the rest of us all around 1400-1,800.

I get Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif UTG and limp.

Short stack behind me folds, a couple more limpers
SB (1 of the big stacks completes), and BB Checks.

We are 6 to the flop.

Flop is T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB Bets out 150. BB Calls.

What's my best play?

Pokerscott
04-05-2005, 05:02 PM
I raise to 600-700 (pot ~500) Thin the herd, and make it expensive for the drawing hands to stick around. I'm not really used to playing with 6 people in, so maybe I'm a bit worried about a set. But I think you are likely ahead and only get to see so many rock hands.

Poster child for why you want to raise it up preflop though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pokerscott

utmt40
04-05-2005, 05:04 PM
I think you have to push here.

Unarmed
04-05-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to push here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also known as, how to get called by T9 and fold everything else that you have smashed /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sofere
04-05-2005, 05:26 PM
At first I was thinking that folding was 100% not an option. Now I'm leaning more towards folding here. Your caught in a sandwich.
If you call, your just sweetening the pot and anyone with a good flush draw will join the party, not to mention that with 3 behind theres a chance for a reraise.

A minraise might work at buying the button, but then you have a big multiway pot when BB and SB call, and it'll be hard to get away from.

Raising any more than that will commit too much of your stack and accomplish pretty much the same thing. Pushing here is out of the question with 3 to act, a raiser and cold caller before you.

I think your probably folding the best hand here, but I'd say fold/minraise about 80/20.

If you limp with the intention of reraising, you have to be prepared to get away from the hand when something like this happens.

Irieguy
04-05-2005, 05:52 PM
The rationale behind the limp/reraise is that an UTG raise will likely get too much respect and an unraised pot will rarely escape the players in late position.

Do you find either of these characterisitics at a $22 SNG? Definitely not. You can raise any amount from minimum to all-in UTG and you will get called plenty. Also, players will rarely raise only because of positional factors at this limit.

There's no need to outplay players who are willing to make the worst mistakes in poker on a regular basis. Just bet big with big hands early and get called and paid. It is, truly, that simple.

Irieguy

johnny005
04-05-2005, 06:07 PM
I follow Irie on this one, U get called way too much when you raise from UTG with a's through q's ... sometimes you will just win the blinds but it doesnt happen that often.. I neve limp from UTG with a high pocket pair.. I do only play the 20's though.. I think at the higher limits you have to change it up a bit

raptor517
04-05-2005, 07:46 PM
ugh, i dont like limp reraising with QQ, mainly because you will be behind a lot. save the limp reraise for KK and AA. holla

Cleveland Guy
04-05-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At first I was thinking that folding was 100% not an option. Now I'm leaning more towards folding here. Your caught in a sandwich.
If you call, your just sweetening the pot and anyone with a good flush draw will join the party, not to mention that with 3 behind theres a chance for a reraise.

A minraise might work at buying the button, but then you have a big multiway pot when BB and SB call, and it'll be hard to get away from.

Raising any more than that will commit too much of your stack and accomplish pretty much the same thing. Pushing here is out of the question with 3 to act, a raiser and cold caller before you.

I think your probably folding the best hand here, but I'd say fold/minraise about 80/20.

If you limp with the intention of reraising, you have to be prepared to get away from the hand when something like this happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my thinking too.

I wanted to re-raise preflop, and it didn't go that way, so with a huge field, a good sized bet and a call, I got out of the way.

I forget exactly what came on the turn and river - but the SB won with 2 pair - T and 9.

I agree w/Irieguy that I tried to get too tricky here, just tired of my QQ KK and AA not giving me a lot of money early in a game from an EP.

deacsoft
04-05-2005, 08:45 PM
DON'T LIMP RAISE.

raptor517
04-05-2005, 11:58 PM
heres the thing. you dont need to get a lot of money early game with big hands. win a small pot lose a big one. sound familiar? you could fold the first 2 levels and your roi would drop maybe 3%. a skilled players edge comes from late game play, not getting an extra 40 chips out of QQ utg. holla