PDA

View Full Version : Defending w/ ATo

dmk
04-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Comments on my play here please. Villian has been playing well and hasn't gotten out of line.

PokerStars $100+9 NL
Blinds 15/30, Hero has T1800, Villian T2300.

Villian open-raises on the button to 90, SB calls, Hero calls w/ ATo.

(T270) Flop: AKJr. Hero bets T90, Villian hesitates and calls, SB folds.

(T450) Turn: A, 2 clubs. Hero checks, Villian bets T150, Hero calls.

(T750) River: 9r. Hero checks, Villian bets T540, Hero calls.

Thoughts on all streets?

schwza
04-05-2005, 04:12 PM
i would've bet more on the flop, otherwise it looks good. i like checking the turn b/c now a T doesn't bother you at all.

Baloosh
04-05-2005, 04:28 PM
I would have raised the turn, to about 600. That would give him just under 3:1 pot odds. Plus by you just calling, you have no idea where you stand. Does he have you outkicked? Does he even have an Ace?

But obviously you thought you were ahead in the hand, and wanted to give him a third opportunity to fire at the pot. You extracted an extra 540 chips from him. Nice hand.

captainzodiac
04-05-2005, 04:32 PM
i agree you should have bet more on the flop,a pot sized bet would be my play,then if he calls,you have to start evaluating your kicker,with his button raise,i would guess he's got a8 min if he has an ace also,when he shows this strength on the river,i would assume he had a9 and hit 2 pair on the river,although he might have a number of combinations on that board to have 2 pair or a str8,or even 99,and hit trips to trigger that large bet on the river.so for me it would be an easy fold on the river,just to many ways you're beat here.

dmk
04-06-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i agree you should have bet more on the flop,a pot sized bet would be my play,then if he calls,you have to start evaluating your kicker,with his button raise,i would guess he's got a8 min if he has an ace also,when he shows this strength on the river,i would assume he had a9 and hit 2 pair on the river,although he might have a number of combinations on that board to have 2 pair or a str8,or even 99,and hit trips to trigger that large bet on the river.so for me it would be an easy fold on the river,just to many ways you're beat here.

[/ QUOTE ]

your minimum to open-raise the button is A8?!? the turn gave 2 Aces btw.

dmk
04-06-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have raised the turn, to about 600. That would give him just under 3:1 pot odds. Plus by you just calling, you have no idea where you stand. Does he have you outkicked? Does he even have an Ace?

But obviously you thought you were ahead in the hand, and wanted to give him a third opportunity to fire at the pot. You extracted an extra 540 chips from him. Nice hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would much rather bet out than c/r the turn. what happens when he pushes w/ a pair+flush/str8 draw? what happens if he cold calls my bet? how do i react to a club or Q?

i didn't necessarily think i was ahead, and i took an awful long time to call. i felt that he's bluffing the river w/ a variety of missed draws/worse hands enough to make the call correct.

dmk
04-06-2005, 01:24 AM
for those interested, villian had AJ and had me drawing pretty dead the whole way. i agree w/ needing to bet more on the flop, but other than that i dont think i change the hand. i lose the least/make the most w/ those turn/river actions.

Baloosh
04-07-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i would much rather bet out than c/r the turn. what happens when he pushes w/ a pair+flush/str8 draw? what happens if he cold calls my bet? how do i react to a club or Q?

[/ QUOTE ]

That call on the turn is up to you... personally I would have raised him to find out where I was. If he pushes on either of those draws, then you've gotta play the percentages and call him. More often than not you win. If he cold calls, then you fire out on the river again. If Club or a Q fall, depending on your read you either fire once more, or check/call or check/fold.

[ QUOTE ]

i didn't necessarily think i was ahead, and i took an awful long time to call. i felt that he's bluffing the river w/ a variety of missed draws/worse hands enough to make the call correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's holding the case A AND he has you outkicked, so be it -- that's poker (lol). If he hit hit flush or straight on the river, nothing you can do. But at least you (should have) charged him the whole way, instead of giving him a chance at a free card.

edit: I see from your last post the results, which I didn't read before posting this reply. If he was drawing, you have to make him choose mistakes. If he's ahead the whole way, then playing it aggressively (like I would have) costs you a LOT more in those instances.