PDA

View Full Version : $1-2 raising with 77-88 UTG

Sponger15SB
04-05-2005, 03:25 PM
I've been trying to use really good table selection since I've started 6-max (which doesn't matter cause I suck and am getting murdered), anyways when I raise UTG with these hands something like this usually happens because I usually only sit at table with like an average VPIP of 50+, and most of the players will call to the river with anything in hopes of catching something

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (11 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>,

Anyways, in a game that is this terrible, would I just be better off limping with these hands because 1) the board is likely to be overcards and with 3-4 oppoents i'm screwed 2) even if it was a good board for me, i'd probably be outdrawn anyways and should just play it for set value

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

SomethingClever
04-05-2005, 03:53 PM
I raise 88 UTG every time, but limp 77.

This is at 1/2 as well.

Seems to work for me... I usually don't get 5 coldcallers, though!

Trix
04-05-2005, 04:02 PM
fold the first.

I dont see anything wrong with limping if everyone is going to play anyway if you arent comfortable postflop, your equity edge probably isnt that great anyway out of position.

Chizoad
04-05-2005, 04:17 PM
99 I would almost always raise here, but in that position in that type of game 88 I think is a limp, as is 77. Your preflop equity is fairly marginal, and you'll never know if you're good unless you flop a set.

I think the preflop play of these hands also depends on how long these guys persist postflop. If several of them are willing to dump their hand on the flop, then raising with 88 is ok. But these guys suck. They'll look at the pot size and not fold to the river. So unless *you* are capable of folding on an imperfect flop, don't raise utg.

The problem is thinking about these hands in a rigid way. Think about the intrinsic value of the hand given the situation. I can come up with game types where I'd call, raise, or fold 88 utg.

Chiz

Transference
04-05-2005, 04:47 PM
I raise both these hands

Victor
04-05-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1-2 raising with 77-88 UTG

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

Entity
04-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Both of the raises are fine. Fold the flop in #1.

NLSoldier
04-05-2005, 05:56 PM
I always raise 66 and sometimes 55 utg as well.