PDA

View Full Version : Accordion music

PoBoy321
04-05-2005, 02:23 PM
So when I was in Italy last winter, there were street musicians all over the place playing the accordion and it was really good. I really started to like accordion music, but I haven't been able to find any good songs that prominently feature the accordion.

Any suggestions?

jakethebake
04-05-2005, 02:27 PM
It has to be the most underrated musical instrument ever.

mmbt0ne
04-05-2005, 02:31 PM
http://www.dropd.com/issue/69/WeirdAl/al.jpg

Oski
04-05-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Frankie Yankovic (1915 - 1998) was a polka musician from Cleveland, Ohio. Known as America's Polka King, he was the premier artist to play in the Slovenian style.

Yankovic released over 200 recordings in his career. In 1986 he was awarded the first ever Grammy in the Best Polka Recording category.

Yankovic seldom strayed from the Slovenian-style polka, but did record with country singer Chet Atkins, pop singer Don Everly, and a version of the “Too Fat Polka” with comedian Drew Carey, also from Cleveland.

Yankovic was not related to "Weird Al" Yankovic, but they did appear together on a compilation album called “Besta Polka”.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't go wrong, here.

In Slovenia, the party doesn't really start until they break out the accordion ("harmonika"). If you are lucky, they will be accompanyied by drums and horns. Most villages have a small band and they will play at the drop of a hat (or 4 - 5 beers).

Jack of Arcades
04-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Try some zydeco/cajun music, the accordion is the main instrument.

jakethebake
04-05-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try some zydeco/cajun music, the accordion is the main instrument.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love zydeco. My favorite is the Blue Runners' first album, but it's more zydeco-rock. They've gone more traditional since then but still very good.

turnipmonster
04-05-2005, 03:13 PM
check out richard galliano (http://www.richardgalliano.com/) , I heard him duo with ron carter and he was amazing. also, gary versace plays some mean accordion on maria schneider's new record "concert in the garden".

--turnipmonster

Jack of Arcades
04-05-2005, 03:33 PM
I hear it all the time here. It's definitely being phased out, just like the rest of the Cajun ways.

jakethebake
04-05-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hear it all the time here. It's definitely being phased out, just like the rest of the Cajun ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in LA are you?

Jack of Arcades
04-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Lafayette.

jakethebake
04-05-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lafayette.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's where the blue runners are from right? they still play there? i liked them better before...i forget that one coon-ass bass player's name...left to go to cowboy mouth. they're a great band too by the way. live at least, not as good on cd.

Jack of Arcades
04-05-2005, 03:48 PM
I think they're from somewhere close to here - Lafayette is the Cajun Heartland.