PDA

View Full Version : If you had a SnG database of every player....

EnderFFX
04-05-2005, 01:06 PM
What statistics would prove most useful? Why? I've started taking notes on players and have been going through my notes recently. I'm looking for holes in my game as well as what I should be looking for in my opponent's game.

Scuba Chuck
04-05-2005, 01:54 PM
If there was a "tight" meter, that would be important to me. Especially a bubble "tight" meter.

Scuba

pokerlaw
04-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Off the top of my head, my big 3:

1) % of flops seen by each level - show how loose/tight their calling standards are.

2) finish not just by ITM and OTM, but by overall place - think the rationale for this one is fairly obvious.

3) Average stack size at the end of each level - are they a player that goes for the early double up, waits w a middle/smaller stack till blinds get higher, etc...

EnderFFX
04-05-2005, 02:16 PM
I was definitly considering that, and raising standards that person would have under different conditions (<10 BB, >10 BB)

Sam T.
04-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Winning (and losing) hands they show down, especially in the early levels. Are they calling a PF raise with A9o, and going to felt when an ace flops?

This ties in to the issue of PF looseness, but also lets you know how well/badly they play post-flop, and how easily you can take their stacks.

Sam

EnderFFX
04-05-2005, 02:17 PM
I think 1 and 3 would be really good stats, and I think that point 2 would be a subset of stats 1 & 3.

pokerlaw
04-05-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think 1 and 3 would be really good stats, and I think that point 2 would be a subset of stats 1 & 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I think point 2 goes towards the effectiveness of play when utilized with the other two.

Ex: You have a choice to play against 1) a player that at the end of level 4 usually has a huge stack or none at all, but seems to have a lot of bubble finishes OR 2) a player with similar average stack sizes, but a lot of 1st place finishes. Clearly (given a large enough sample size, of course), player 2 seems more adept at using a big stack, and is thereby less likely to "throw a party".

EnderFFX
04-05-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm starting to see that the usefullness of this tool would come mainly in the pre-flop analysis, would that be safe to say?

sofere
04-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Absolutely...90% of SNGs are played preflop (especially at the later levels)