PDA

View Full Version : Getting re-raised in the early rounds

PokerForMath
04-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Thought question. I have been getting re-raised a lot in the early rounds of MTT on line. I will get a hand like KJ and it's folded to me in late cut off or one off the cut off. I make a standard pot sized bet to take the pot and the guy to my immediate left re-pops me. It's happened in the past four MTT $100, $200 and $500 tournaments I have entered. In all these cases the table is a little loose with a little greater than average betting and raising, but not necessarily that much evidence of re-raising.

So, my question is, in the first few rounds of the bigger buy in MTT's, if you are going to open-raise with a KQ or other type marginal hand, in a table such as described above, what's the best play? Fold and wait for the big hand. Re-pop and how much? Or call and play out of position on the flop? What's going on? It's suspicious that this happens so much, so I think there are a lot of people out there who suspect that an open raise from late position must be a marginal hand trying to steal the pot? Thoughts?

hurlyburly
04-05-2005, 12:42 PM
If this doesn't happen when you raise with a big hand then you've got to respect the reraise. It could be a case of "not on my button" restealing, but if it's not worth your buy-in to find out, then you are better off not raising at all or reducing your raises.

If it happens once and you tighten up, then the nature of online poker will put a false read that you will laydown when reraised in LP, so as long as your table doesn't get broken up, then you can look forward to a good payday.