PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Baseball v. Fantasy Football

ArchAngel71857
04-05-2005, 11:08 AM
With the start of the baseball season (and more importantly, the fantasy baseball season) I find myself debating over which one I enjoy more: fantasy football or baseball. While football was my awkward teenage loss of virginity in the fornicating adventures of fantasy sports, as I grow older and experiment more with imaginary teams and fantasies, I find that I seem to enjoy fantasy baseball slightly more than fantasy football. I was curious as to how others felt. Do you prefer fantasy baseball or fantasy football?

Do you think it relates to approaches to the game? Do micromanagers prefer one over the other? Do hands off people enjoy one over the other?

Fantasy baseball is a very long season and I know at least half my league stops paying attention around June 10th. I however, like the fact there are more players, a lot of stats and a different ways to build really good teams in a straight 5x5, 12 team roto league.

Football, on the other hand, has games count more and since everything happens (for the most part) within 6 hours, it makes for an intense climax to a week of sifting through injury reports, offensive/defensive matchups, and waiver wires.

Baseball, however, wins with a slight edge for me, mostly because I can make more moves/trades/ and I enjoy the strategy more. I also think I like setting a lineup every day.

Interested to hear what others think.

-AA

P.S. Fantasy basketball doesn't count in this discussion because I hate it. Also, neither does fantasy hockey, because that's the only place it exists this season: in your imagination. <font color="white"> Eat a dick, Screwtape.</font>

Paluka
04-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Fantasy baseball is a better game, fantasy football is a more fun activity.

nolanfan34
04-05-2005, 11:33 AM
I think your arguments sum up my feelings on the two pretty well, and I'd also give baseball the edge.

I certainly enjoy researching baseball, and preparing for the draft, much more than football. Football has a limited number of positions, whereas baseball's greater number of positions allows for more draft strategy. Things like position scarcity can be even more important to consider in baseball.

Baseball also has the advantage of the minor leagues for deep keeper leagues. To me, one of the fun things in the 20 team keeper league that I'm in, is snatching some of those future stars before anyone else. Andy Marte for example...

Anyway, it's close, but I give the slight edge to baseball as well.

As a wild card, I will admit that Yahoo fantasy golf is a lot more fun than I had anticipated.

tbach24
04-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Fantasy baseball because a team can get lucky in football, but in baseball, because of it's larger season, it's easier to show how much better you are. Also, in fantasy point, it's very easy to suck w/o research as the players that you find in most draft guides are for roto. Yeah, so basically, I just love having much better teams than others and being able to prove it. Fantasy football is the [censored] on the sundays though.

Soul Daddy
04-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Football is in your face fun, but I enjoy baseball more. Does that even make sense?

The best team always wins in a rotisserie style baseball league. I've never felt charmed when I've won a title in baseball, which I can certainly not say about football.

PhatTBoll
04-05-2005, 12:38 PM
I grudgingly have to admit that fantasy baseball is a better test of who the best owners are. Luck is less of a factor in a season that is 10x as long. But if everyone preferred games where the best player always wins then this forum wouldn't exist.

p.s. Mark Buehrle is sexy.

ArchAngel71857
04-05-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I grudgingly have to admit that fantasy baseball is a better test of who the best owners are. Luck is less of a factor in a season that is 10x as long. But if everyone preferred games where the best player always wins then this forum wouldn't exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

But which one do you enjoy more?

-AA

P.S. Buerhle sexy? feel free to pick him up. the Indians had like 15 fly balls to the warning track. Thanks to congress for outlawing steroids.

PhatTBoll
04-05-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But which one do you enjoy more?

-AA

P.S. Buerhle sexy? feel free to pick him up. the Indians had like 15 fly balls to the warning track. Thanks to congress for outlawing steroids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Football. It's the only sport I know enough about to do well consistently.

And I started Buehrle. 8 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 5 K may not impress you, but it's good enough for those of us with less discriminating taste.