PDA

View Full Version : Can't break through

Bulldog
04-05-2005, 09:40 AM
I mostly play limit cash games, but I mix in the occasional NL tourney on Stars, usually the $5.50 rebuy. I've had several money finishes (5 of 14 in this tourney) but no big hits. A couple of them I was short stacked and snuck into the money, but last night I thought I was on my way to a real nice payday.

I was the first to 100,000 for my only lead of the night when we were down to about 130 players (~650 entrants, 63 places pay). I got there with a tough call in a hand where I was the BB with A9 and called a raise from the SB. Flop was Q93, he made a small bet, I made a mini raise, he pushed, and I called his T4o. We were the two big stacks at the table at around 50,000 each and I was quite proud of my call.

Things were mostly quiet the next hour or so, and I stayed between 4th and 7th place for a long time. I was 5th with 29 players left, with 220,000. I lost 20,000 on the first hand I flipped over where I was behind (AQ v AK short stacked), then inched back up to about 210,000. The blinds were now 6000/12000 I believe. I raised to 36,000 UTG with AKo. UTG+1 goes all in for 80,000 more and all fold to me. I call and he shows AQ. Q on the turn and instead of being in 2nd place with over 300,000 chips, I'm in 17th with 100,000. We get down to 24 players and I call an all in with QQ, lose to AK and I'm out with a $75 payday, instead of something in the hundreds or thousands.

Aaargh. Not sure what advice I'm looking for here. I'm trying to stay patient, and I know I can't expect to be at the final table once in every 15 ~600 player tourneys. But that got me very frustrated. Over four hours to win 75 bucks, 50 profit. The last two 30-40 player live tourneys I played, same story: finished in the money in both, 4th & 6th. How do people who play primarily MTTs handle the swings? I need to win 60% of my sessions to feel like a good player!

MrBigStacks
04-05-2005, 10:29 AM
I don't think you can feel bad about you're performance in that tournament. Winning a big MTT takes a little luck, especially with those AK hands... you have to win with AK, and you have to win when you are up against AK. It sounds like the cards just weren't falling your way. There can be long periods of time with out a big cash, but don't worry because you will forget all about that when you get your first big victory!