PDA

View Full Version : Blair calls General election

partygirluk
04-05-2005, 06:32 AM
May 5th.

mackthefork
04-05-2005, 11:46 AM
I'll be spoiling my ballot, the choices (if you can call them choices) are extremely bleak.

Mack

Felix_Nietsche
04-05-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm not familiar with a Parliment based govt.
1. If the Prime Minister has the power to call for elections, what is to keep him/her from never calling an election and staying in power indefinately?

2. What motivation would Blair have for calling general elections in May as opposed to December?

Gamblor
04-05-2005, 02:16 PM
If the Prime Minister has the power to call for elections, what is to keep him/her from never calling an election and staying in power indefinately?

In Canada, there is a constitutionally mandated maximum term.

What motivation would Blair have for calling general elections in May as opposed to December?

Elections are called by the governing party at a time when they feel support for it is at its highest.

partygirluk
04-05-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If the Prime Minister has the power to call for elections, what is to keep him/her from never calling an election and staying in power indefinately?

In Canada, there is a constitutionally mandated maximum term.

What motivation would Blair have for calling general elections in May as opposed to December?

Elections are called by the governing party at a time when they feel support for it is at its highest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maximum term is 5 years unless large majorities in both houses vote to extend it (this happened during WWII).

Beerfund
04-05-2005, 04:01 PM
I'd vote for Prince Charles.