PDA

View Full Version : 98o -- the only hand I won tonight . . .

Nick C
04-05-2005, 05:57 AM
. . . It felt like.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (2 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 1.50 BB

Rags, rags, rags. What can you do?

Oh, wait, there's one more:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (2.16 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 7.16 BB

After the hand, MP1 (38/3/0.8) wrote in the chatbox: "My two pair wasn't worth squat."

Should I believe him?

bakku
04-05-2005, 06:07 AM
hand 1: raise pf

hand 2:

[ QUOTE ]
After the hand, MP1 (38/3/0.8) wrote in the chatbox: "My two pair wasn't worth squat."

Should I believe him?

[/ QUOTE ]

does it matter?

Paxosmotic
04-05-2005, 06:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Even offsuit? I suppose it's one of those "raise, and if it's reraised fold immediately" plays?

Nick C
04-05-2005, 07:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Even offsuit? I suppose it's one of those "raise, and if it's reraised fold immediately" plays?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think you can fold immediately.

Paxosmotic
04-05-2005, 07:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The raise would seem to indicate he has either the K or A, and you've completely missed anything that could help you. I don't see your situation getting any better through the hand. How would you play through the hand, and what would you be looking for?

Nick C
04-05-2005, 07:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The raise would seem to indicate he has either the K or A, and you've completely missed anything that could help you. I don't see your situation getting any better through the hand. How would you play through the hand, and what would you be looking for?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking preflop. If I had been raised on the flop, yes, I was folding my bluff.

Chris Daddy Cool
04-05-2005, 07:31 AM
i HATE your preflop play in hand 1

Nick C
04-05-2005, 07:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise instead?

Chris Daddy Cool
04-05-2005, 07:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

folding wouldn't be bad either.

chief444
04-05-2005, 07:51 AM
What if BB was very loose preflop and postflop and very unlikely even in this situation to raise preflop?

I'm not disagreeing BTW. But in that situation it seems to me limping would be okay. Most times it seems to be the third best option. But admittedly, my short handed game needs improvement.

PokerBob
04-05-2005, 09:34 AM
If you're gonna play hand 1, raise it and take control.

Nick C
04-05-2005, 08:11 PM
I'll admit I posted the 98o and J7o hands in the first place just as a brief whine about being card-dead most of the night. But now that Bakku, CDC, and PBob have commented on the complete with 98o, I have a question.

When 2/4 was my usual game, I would sometimes just complete with fair but speculative hands, getting an immediate 3:1, on those rare occasions when it was folded around to me in the SB. I didn't really consider it a raise-or-fold situation -- especially on occasions when I didn't think there was much chance I'd actually steal successfully.

The situation does come up more frequently at 3/6 though (maybe in part, for me, because I've been continuing to play at tables once they become short-handed more than I used to). Also, the blind structure is different. Does the 1/3 structure make it more of a raise-or-fold situation?

The reason I didn't fold the 98o is that I was getting an immediate 2:1 and the hand isn't much worse than random. However, being out of position decreases whatever value the hand has, and I suppose just completing and showing weakness exacerbates this problem.