PDA

View Full Version : stereotyping

gamblore99
04-05-2005, 04:17 AM
Often times, when I meet a fat person whom I know nothing about, I make assumptions that they are stupid, lazy, unhappy, as well as other assumptions. I know this is really bad and am really trying actively to not prejudge people based on this kind of stuff.

What sparked this post, is that my housemates said I was very superficial for doing so, despite me telling them that I am making an active effort to not stereotype fat people.

thoughts?

brassnuts
04-05-2005, 04:19 AM
I am fat, and I stereotype fat people.

Ianco15
04-05-2005, 04:24 AM
You're roomamtes are acting too PC. They probably stereotype too and won't admit it (even to themselves). I stereotype all the time. I think that a huge majority (if not all) of people stereotype at least a little bit. It's not really a big deal.

thatpfunk
04-05-2005, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Often times, when I meet a fat person whom I know nothing about, I make assumptions that they are stupid, lazy, unhappy

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't?

liquidboss
04-05-2005, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Often times, when I meet a fat person whom I know nothing about, I make assumptions that they are stupid, lazy, unhappy

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a pretty safe assumption in all but a few cases. Unlike race or gender or most anything else people are stereotyped for, one has to make poor decisions everyday to become fat (bad diet, no excercise, etc) and it doesn't happen overnight. In order to become obese you must first watch yourself get fat and decide not change your habits.

I also believe the genetic excuse is given way to much creed nowdays. It's true part of one's physique is genetic but predisposition to something doesn't mean you have it. You still have to eat more calories than you burn to get fat.

BusterStacks
04-05-2005, 05:54 AM
If you think they are unhappy, why not make an effort to be nice to them? I doubt you're the minority in making these assumptions, and it can't be easy to live like that every day if they are true.

Now, I'm all for being a prick, but if you do it to someone who is truly unhappy and/or has no desire to engage in any kind of fighting back, it's just mean.

Being mean to people for physical reasons is super-lame.

oreogod
04-05-2005, 05:59 AM
I think they should stop making clothes for fat people. After all its just encouraging more and more people to engourge themselves at Mcdonalds.

Human nature to judge and stereotype -- but if u were fat wouldnt u be lazy? Christ u imagine being active carrying that much weight on u?

PS>Anyone see how much Peter Jackson deflated lately? Saw him commentating on King Kong and its eventual sequels -- motherf*ker must have hit South Beach or Atkins like no other, looks like a young steven spielberg now.

Jack of Arcades
04-05-2005, 07:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a pretty safe assumption in all but a few cases. Unlike race or gender or most anything else people are stereotyped for, one has to make poor decisions everyday to become fat (bad diet, no excercise, etc) and it doesn't happen overnight. In order to become obese you must first watch yourself get fat and decide not change your habits.

I also believe the genetic excuse is given way to much creed nowdays. It's true part of one's physique is genetic but predisposition to something doesn't mean you have it. You still have to eat more calories than you burn to get fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a difference between "obese" and "fat."

There're also plenty of other things to consider. The person might be happier being overweight. There're also medical conditions.

Jack of Arcades
04-05-2005, 07:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I think they should stop making clothes for fat people. After all its just encouraging more and more people to engourge themselves at Mcdonalds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, what the [censored] do you care who eats what? And do you really wanna see fat people in little clothing?

mason55
04-05-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, what the [censored] do you care who eats what? And do you really wanna see fat people in little clothing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to see fat people period. Maybe if they don't have clothes they won't leave the house.

jakethebake
04-05-2005, 09:41 AM
I think the lazy one is a given in most cases. Otherwise they wouldn't be fat.

jakethebake
04-05-2005, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think they should stop making clothes for fat people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst idea ever. Do you see why?

thatpfunk
04-05-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:

They aren't?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes... Joking...

Obviously fat people have less self discipline in one aspect of their lives than others, but it does not make them stupid or unhappy. There are plenty of intelligent, fat people.

However, the number of stupid, unhappy people that are fat is probably larger (percentage-wise) stupid, unhappy people that are skinny.

jstnrgrs
04-05-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm (very )fat, and while I am not stupid, lazy, etc., I often think the same thing when I see other fat people. This is obviously not good, and you and I both should make an effort not to prejudge. I think the fact that you are making an effort not to prejudge, indicates a lack of superficiality.

jstnrgrs
04-05-2005, 02:21 PM
I think you are oversimplifying a bit. I reached 200 lbs when I was in 8th grade, and I haven't been back down there since. Yes, bad descisions got be there, but making a series of bad choises when I was in elementry school and middle school shouldn't indicate that I am stupid and lazy today.

Prehapse you could say that I must be lazy since I haven't lost the weight since, and you might have a point there.

jakethebake
04-05-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Prehapse you could say that I must be lazy since I haven't lost the weight since, and you might have a point there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. That's the only point I'd try to make. Nothing more.

thatpfunk
04-05-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm (very )fat, and while I am not stupid, lazy

[/ QUOTE ]

You are aware that being obese is incredibly dangerous to your health, correct? You are also aware that through lots of very hard work you could have a healthy body, correct? I fail to see how this can be considered something other than laziness.

(Not a personal attack, please don't take it as one. I appreciate your honesty in this thread)