PDA

View Full Version : $20+2: raptor HOLLA at me; bad time to call with A7 on the bubble?

spentrent
04-05-2005, 04:16 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t750)
Button (t1626)
SB (t4824)
Hero (t800)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG all-in for 750, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero???

I will call with a suited Ace in this specific situation where the smallest stack is about to get blinded for ~50% of his stack, but the thread where we bitched at each other is making me rethink this play. What is your line?

raptor517
04-05-2005, 04:19 AM
this is a completely different situation. you have to make this call. 3uo

spentrent
04-05-2005, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this is a completely different situation. you have to make this call. 3uo

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the rationale? In the other situation, do you advocate folding exactly because I'm not "desperate" yet?

BTW thanks for not putting me on ignore after I showed my ass in that other thread.

raptor517
04-05-2005, 05:18 AM
no worries, just forum banter, im not offended easily. last time when u had A7, u could still exercise your stack to attack the blinds of the other players, and not make a risky call with a weak hand like A7. the beauty of an agressive style is that neat little 2 ways to win thing. if you know anything about icm, you will know that it dictates a very agressive pushing style of play, and says that you shouldnt be calling with very many hands at all.

in the situation here, you cant let the utg player steal your blind. if he does, he wins the battle, and likely the war of the bubble. you have to take a stand right there for your best chance to chop him off. 3uo

curtains
04-05-2005, 05:51 AM
Raptor is no longer my favorite poster now that "holla" has been replaced by "3uo"

1C5
04-05-2005, 08:54 AM
I have to know what 3uo means or stands for.?

syphlix
04-05-2005, 10:36 AM
and what does "icm" mean?

bix
04-05-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and what does "icm" mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1122239&amp;page=8&amp;view=c ollapsed&amp;sb=7&amp;o=93&amp;fpart=1

raptor517
04-05-2005, 02:57 PM
curtains is not longer my favorite poster since he no longer gets in flame wars about pushing every hand in every situation. 3uo

DMACM
04-05-2005, 06:47 PM
I am new to STT and very new to ICM. If the situation were different such that the big blind of 4800 had the chance to call both small stacks here what kind of hand does this big stack need to call both players. For instance if the big stack were on the BB and the first small stack still raised UTG all in to 750 and this hand's hero with 800 still called but this time from the SB is it worth it for the big stack to call from the big blind with a hand like T9s as a probable underdog because of the chance of taking out both low stacks? Or would this only make sense if there were 5 players or does it not at all? If it is the case that the big stack should call with a lot of hands then I would assume A7s should probably not call from the SB in this new situation.

pokerlaw
04-05-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am new to STT and very new to ICM. If the situation were different such that the big blind of 4800 had the chance to call both small stacks here what kind of hand does this big stack need to call both players.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, as a big stack in this situation, I like to call with unique hands that are probably not going to be covered. For example, I would probably muck A7, figuring someone had an ace, but I would call with 78, figuring I could take out some overcards with the right flop. Also, I think any pok pair would suffice as well. I would like to hear more opinions on this though...

raptor517
04-05-2005, 07:44 PM
thats probably not a great idea to call with something like 78 over A7s. possible push hands can be K10, KJ, KQ, etc. if u happen to run into something like 1010, your ace is still live, whereas with 78 you have to hit two pair or better. those reasons alone make A7 that much better. you just give up too much with a hand like 78, but i see what your saying. what im saying is, that its more +ev to call with A7s than 78. holla