PDA

View Full Version : Speeding ticket. Gotta go to court. Advice?

johnnycakes
04-05-2005, 12:11 AM
i got a speeding ticket a week ago. I was going 41 in a 25. The bad part is that it was a school zone. So...I have to go to court. No choice.

I have had a couple (2) tickets before (nothing more than 16 over), but I am now a cautious driver. I try my best to pay attention and slow down in schol zones. This particular morning I was late for work and just wasn't paying enough attention. When the cop pulled me over, I honestly had no idea why.

Any advice? Should I get a lawyer?

stabn
04-05-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i got a speeding ticket a week ago. I was going 41 in a 25. The bad part is that it was a school zone. So...I have to go to court. No choice.

I have had a couple (2) tickets before (nothing more than 16 over), but I am now a cautious driver. I try my best to pay attention and slow down in schol zones. This particular morning I was late for work and just wasn't paying enough attention. When the cop pulled me over, I honestly had no idea why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Use the search function /images/graemlins/smile.gif. We've had a ton (at least a couple) of these threads.

JaBlue
04-05-2005, 12:15 AM
I say you give the judge a hummer and hope for the best

johnnycakes
04-05-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Use the search function /images/graemlins/smile.gif. We've had a ton (at least a couple) of these threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. But I didn't see anything recommending what to do after the ticket is issued.

handsome
04-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Most people will tell you that you don't need a lawyer for this type of ordeal but I think you should at least get some legal advice since this is your third ticket. Depending on where you are, you might be able to get a good plea bargain.

But I hope you didn't admit that you were speeding because you were late. I used that excuse when I ran a red and the court totally used that against me. But in my situation it was my first ticket and I bargained with the DA for 2 points on my license and a fine because I didn't wanna go through with the trial.

Get a radar.

zagosh
04-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Drive slower

xpander
04-05-2005, 12:41 AM
This doesn't sound salvageable. Pay the fine and go to traffic school. If you're speeding through school zones, you're not as safe as you think.

ChoicestHops
04-05-2005, 12:55 AM
Nothing you can do to get out of the ticket. Speeding in a school zone looks 2x as bad.

jstnrgrs
04-05-2005, 02:03 AM
Mandatory court?? You've got to be kidding. Remind me never to move to Kentucky.

Are school zones really taken that seriously? From what I've seen, around here, people pertty much ignore them.

iMsoLucky0
04-05-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Drive slower

[/ QUOTE ]ev

Worst advice ever.

You can get out of tickets relatively easy, and speeding laws are stupid anyways.

JGalt
04-05-2005, 04:33 AM
web page (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=183986 0&Forum=,,,,All_Forums,,,,&Words=&Searchpage=4&Lim it=25&Main=1839593&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name= 9576&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=& oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1839860)

jakethebake
04-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Go to one of those traffic lawyers. They charge like $50 and will probably get you off. If you go to court, whatever you do, don't waive the jury trial. The judges and DAs are all buddies.

mostsmooth
04-05-2005, 09:43 AM
id say go on the lam.
get in your car and drive as fast as you can (shouldnt be a problem) to wyoming. build a cabin in the hills and eat frogs and squirrels for dinner. grow a long beard so as to not be recognized.after 30 years this speeding ticket thing will likely blow over and you can return.
or just ask the prosecutor to get you for failure to obey signs or something that doesnt carry points but is same fine or a little more.somebody else can elaborate im sure.

tek
04-05-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are school zones really taken that seriously? From what I've seen, around here, people pertty much ignore them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends if they are public or private /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jakethebake
04-05-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Everywhere I've ever lived they're taken VERY VERY seriously.

The Dude
04-05-2005, 10:15 AM
My traffic attourney in WA was 8 for 8 in getting me out of traffic violations, including a negligent driving charge for going 111 in a 70. The cost of paying a lawyer and being sure to get out of the ticket greatly outweighs the cost of the attourney.

willie
04-05-2005, 10:33 AM
yeah i think you should evaluate your insurance jump for a 3rd moving offense vs the cost of a lawyer

i've gotten out of a few speeding tickets. 45 in a 30, and 85 in a 55. connections were key in those situations though.

one ripped up, and the 85 in a 55 was turned into a nonmoving broken speedometer ticket.

no tickets, 23 and my insurance just JUMPED 20% in cost......insurance companies are instiutionalized rape.

OrangeHeat
04-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Take a bunch of fuzzy pictures of the area, write up a long explanation of why the signage wasn't right, and go to court as if you are going to fight the ticket.

Talk to the DA when you get to the courthouse leaving your materials in plain view. They will most likely reduce the ticket as they have better use of their time than to prosecute you for speeding.

I have gotten two tickets reduced to non-moving, no point violations that didn't affect my license or insurance this way. Of course the fine will be exactly the same - they really just want the money. Both cases the DA was fine with the reduction as long as I was fine with the fine.

Or get a good traffic lawyer who will basically do the same thing. At least with the lawyer you will have someone to blame if it doesn't work.

Orange

ZeeJustin
04-05-2005, 12:26 PM
US speed trap cops are required to calibrate their radar detectors once ever 48 hours or something, and they need written proof of this. If they can't produce it in court, you're innocent. This is what my dad has done to get off of several tickets.

RustedCorpse
04-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Here's what I usually do (or at least have twice in the past)

I call up at a really odd time, hoping that the cop isn't there at that moment (if he is just hang up or something) if he's not there I say I'm Robert Paulson a private investigator (I think another time I said I was a reporter) and calling to speak to him regarding a private matter(Only volunteer this if they ask), I then ask if there is a day he isn't working that I can set up to do lunch and discuss the matter. If they won't give you the day over the phone just call back another time, they've always just given it to me. Once I have the date I give the court a call and ask to reschedule my traffic court date for that day. In VA and FL I would do this twice at which point the judge just threw it out after the police officer failed to show up twice in a row. That's just my recommendation.

Please note this DID NOT work for my 148 in a 35 zone.

OrangeHeat
04-05-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my 148 in a 35 zone

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like an honest oversight to me!

Orange

Transference
04-05-2005, 12:38 PM
play the race card

mason55
04-05-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's what I usually do (or at least have twice in the past)

I call up at a really odd time, hoping that the cop isn't there at that moment (if he is just hang up or something) if he's not there I say I'm Robert Paulson a private investigator (I think another time I said I was a reporter) and calling to speak to him regarding a private matter(Only volunteer this if they ask), I then ask if there is a day he isn't working that I can set up to do lunch and discuss the matter. If they won't give you the day over the phone just call back another time, they've always just given it to me. Once I have the date I give the court a call and ask to reschedule my traffic court date for that day. In VA and FL I would do this twice at which point the judge just threw it out after the police officer failed to show up twice in a row. That's just my recommendation.

Please note this DID NOT work for my 148 in a 35 zone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice to meet you Mr. Mitnick.

RustedCorpse
04-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Stupid brakes. My roomate has the best, we're in NC (both of us had NYC licenses) we're coming home from a 96 hour weekend at like 3 am. We're probably doing about 120 or so, we fly over this hill as a cop is coming the other way. Immediately we slow down and pull over, the cop hadn't turned on his lights or anything, five minutes later he goes past us with his lights on stops, backs up rolls down the window to talk to us,

"I almost didn't see you guys stopped here. You were going like seventy or something past me back there."

Pause. Roomate looks at me, simultanious response:

"Yes officer, sorry about that."

In my mind the officer spits here, but I don't think he did.

"Well, you guys did the right thing in stopping, go on and get outta here, drive safe."

RustedCorpse
04-05-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get the reference? Unless it's the author who first came up with this scam, it's not original, but it works.

mason55
04-05-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get the reference? Unless it's the author who first came up with this scam, it's not original, but it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh there's like 10 pages about that in Kevin Mitnick's social engineering book. He at least claims he came up with it. Assumed that's where you got it from.

RustedCorpse
04-05-2005, 01:04 PM
I think I got it from my grandfather(ex cop), but I have read that book I think. Black cover? Talks about how he used to map out the phone directories of buisnesses? Who knows may have gotten it from there as well, too many fried brain cells. Either way it's worked twice.

ripdog
04-05-2005, 01:09 PM
I went to traffic court with my wife last summer and was appalled at how poorly the unwashed masses defended themselves. One dude brought in pictures that proved that he was parked illegally, then threw a little hissy when the judge upheld the fine. The guy that backed his motorhome into my wife's 4Runner defended himself by saying "How was I supposed to know she was back there? I drive a big motorhome and she was too close to me at the stoplight". The cop that ticketed him was a no-show but since my wife was there to tell the story, his ticket was upheld (then he threw a fit).

All of the people who brought attorneys had their tickets dismissed. One attorney initially argued unsuccessfully, asked for a few minutes to look over the citation and found that the officer had failed to note the location of the infraction on the ticket--DISMISSED!. I would look for some stupid mistake by the officer and try to get off on a technicality, but talk to an attorney too.

mason55
04-05-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I got it from my grandfather(ex cop), but I have read that book I think. Black cover? Talks about how he used to map out the phone directories of buisnesses? Who knows may have gotten it from there as well, too many fried brain cells. Either way it's worked twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool I never believed that would work. I always get my speeding tickets hours away from my house when I'm travelling so I never bother to fight them.

jstnrgrs
04-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Why? Do schools let young kids run around in the street?

hunterking
04-05-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the "community serivice instead of paying up" option seems really attractive at first, and then you realize that that's a whole lot of work, and you'll probably end up paying the money anyway in the end, with some community service to boot...i haven't read any of this thread except for the original post, but this is my initial reaction:

big brother's not really gonna care what you have to say, only extend you a hand...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/hunterking/out_payup_sucker_430x215.jpg
hk

ggbman
04-05-2005, 03:07 PM
I got tagged doing 74 in a 40 but got off scott free in court after agreeing to some community service. Hopefully you could get a similar deal.

Richie Rich
04-05-2005, 04:05 PM
There's no way you can "win" this one. My best advice would be to re-schedule your court appearance, and then hope that the cop doesn't show up for the second hearing.

Uglyowl
04-05-2005, 05:36 PM
Threaten the police and the judge that you will get the last laugh. This usually works I hear.

youtalkfunny
04-06-2005, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There's no way you can "win" this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I promised myself I wasn't going to post this link any more.

But when I read, "There's no way you can 'win' this one," I could no longer help myself.

Yes, you CAN win this one (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=1376920&Fo rum=f20&Words=dismissed&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main =1376522&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=863&datera nge=1&newerval=5&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=& bodyprev=#Post1376920)