PDA

View Full Version : I hate Jacks, comments on my play

Scuba Chuck
04-04-2005, 11:41 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 (t770)
CO (t840)
Button (t775)
SB (t800)
BB (t1625)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
MP1 (t755)
Hero (t835)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t30</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t105) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t250</font>, SB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t480

wuwei
04-04-2005, 11:49 PM
I think the min raise and the overbet on the flop set you up for trouble. Regardless, I would fold to the reraise.

Make a standard raise preflop.

apd138
04-04-2005, 11:50 PM
I don't like the min raise preflop, I just don't understand its purpose hands you want to fold will still call and it hurts set value. The flop bet is more than I would bet but at least you know where you are at after your opponents action so I don't mind it. After you are raised the hand is over for me.

Freudian
04-04-2005, 11:51 PM
I think 125 is too much if you just want to test where your hand is at. Its almost 1/6 of your stack. And you won't be able to push on the turn even if he just calls (unless a J comes). I would personally either check/fold (you have only invested 30 and missed the flop, shouldn't be that hard to get away from) or make a bet of 1/2 pot and if called check/fold the turn unless I improve.

I think you don't make a huge mistake if you play JJ strictly for set- and overpairvalue in level 1.

Scuba Chuck
04-04-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you don't make a huge mistake if you play JJ strictly for set- and overpairvalue in level 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was generally my thoughts until about 10 days ago, where it was pointed out to me that I was CLEARLY wrong, and that you can play midpairs postflop. I have had enormous trouble with Jacks, and I have had a lot more HHs than just the 3 I posted. My lack of success has been so bad, I cringe everytime I see them (except level 4+ of course /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Edit: I just updated my pokertracker database (new toy for me). My hand with the most loss $$ is ... (wanna guess?)

Scuba

johnnybeef
04-05-2005, 02:03 AM
i think of jacks as a transition hand, its not quite a big pair, but its not quite a medium pair either. i like to play them like a medium pair in early and middle position, and like a big pair in lp (assuming an unraised pot).

spentrent
04-05-2005, 03:03 AM
I like a standard raise pre-flop. The min-raise invites hands like Ax|Kx to stick around for a flop.

I like your decision to play this hand with a raise. If I'm in EP I'd rather limp and play for set value but in the middle (and late) this pot belongs to you.

I also like the stab, but it doesn't have to be an overbet. What is your reason for the overbet? To knock out TPTK?

curtains
04-05-2005, 03:09 AM
I typically raise to 45-50 preflop. Once you get to the flop, I bet about 2/3s of the pot, which Im pretty sure is less than what you bet. A Kxx flop, even while suited, is usually one where people will quickly fold if they have nothing and thus you don't need to bet quite as much to protect your hand or get information.

I just don't like overbetting, I feel like 75-80 really will have almost the same effect here.

Apathy
04-05-2005, 03:19 AM
Your line is fine, my problems with this hadn are your bet sizing.

If your gonna raise PF (I would) I like 60.

Bet a little more then half the pot on the flop, your using extra chips when its unnecessary to do so.