PDA

View Full Version : Quick Microwave Q

istewart
04-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Can you microwave a paper plate? Flames unnecessary.

pshreck
04-04-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IStewart, I said I wanted someone to make a fresh title game thread for the UNC Illinois tonight.

This is dissapointing.

And I think the answer is I think so.

istewart
04-04-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IStewart, I said I wanted someone to make a fresh title game thread for the UNC Illinois tonight.

This is dissapointing.

And I think the answer is I think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty /images/graemlins/grin.gif

brassnuts
04-04-2005, 09:24 PM
It will burst into flames and burn your house down.

daryn
04-04-2005, 09:31 PM
all a microwave does is heat water.

if there is no water in the plate, nothing will happen to it. it won't even get hot.

brassnuts
04-04-2005, 09:33 PM
You shouldn't reveal secrets like this to the rest of the world.

Lazymeatball
04-04-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

if there is no water in the plate, nothing will happen to it. it won't even get hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what's the deal with microwaving metal, it sparks and stuff, but is there any real danger of blowing something up?

pshreck
04-04-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im pretty sure its not that simple.

Leo99
04-04-2005, 09:59 PM
Almost that simple. The microwaves will be absorbed by the easiest thing to absorb the microwaves. Usually, that's water. A plate by itself might have some moisture in it and it's not good to run the microwave with nothing to absorb the waves.

Dead
04-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Sure can. I do it all the time.

Just don't microwave plastic. Use glass instead.

daryn
04-04-2005, 10:04 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure it is. do you happen to have a degree in physics? did you ever build microwaves? if not STFU

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

brassnuts
04-04-2005, 10:06 PM
The microwaves' waves are electromagnetic waves at the correct frequency to cause water molecules to oscillate (move back and forth faster). Movement on the molecular level is also called heat. Water molecules in food start moving faster, the food gets hotter, and voila.

pshreck
04-04-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure it is. do you happen to have a degree in physics? did you ever build microwaves? if not STFU

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm... did you watch a shitload of bill nye the science guy when you were younger? I didn't think so. Who is the more qualified one here?

brassnuts
04-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Bill Nye is a chode.

daryn
04-04-2005, 10:14 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm... did you watch a shitload of bill nye the science guy when you were younger? I didn't think so. Who is the more qualified one here?

[/ QUOTE ]

you are stupid and have consistently proven so. good day sir.

daryn
04-04-2005, 10:15 PM
The microwaves' waves are electromagnetic waves at the correct frequency to cause water molecules to oscillate (move back and forth faster). Movement on the molecular level is also called heat. Water molecules in food start moving faster, the food gets hotter, and voila.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is misleading also. the heat comes from the resulting torque on the water molecules breaking the bonds.

brassnuts
04-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Oh.

pshreck
04-04-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you realize I was kidding dude.

By the way, how is that Umass physics degree treating you so far /images/graemlins/ooo.gif?

daryn
04-04-2005, 10:21 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you realize I was kidding dude.

By the way, how is that Umass physics degree treating you so far /images/graemlins/ooo.gif?

[/ QUOTE ]

good, i still seem to know the correct answers.

rusty JEDI
04-05-2005, 02:42 AM
Some styrafoam containers especially the type you get something to go from at a restaurant like to melt in the microwave. Not sure about the water content in styrafoam, but according to Daryn its in there.

rJ

bennyk
04-05-2005, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Some styrafoam containers especially the type you get something to go from at a restaurant like to melt in the microwave. Not sure about the water content in styrafoam, but according to Daryn its in there.

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

this is also true of some paper products, if microwaved without other things (i.e., food).

i once witnessed a balled up piece of paper burst into flames in midair after being heated for 1 minute in a microwave.

this may have been due to other circumstances. i have not since attempted to reproduce the experiment.
bk

jason_t
04-05-2005, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
his is misleading also. the heat comes from the resulting torque on the water molecules breaking the bonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is acheived by using a frequency that causes water molecules to resonate.

daryn
04-05-2005, 04:29 AM
his is misleading also. the heat comes from the resulting torque on the water molecules breaking the bonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is acheived by using a frequency that causes water molecules to resonate.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, because if you just chant VIBRATE PRETTY PLEASE it won't happen.

brassnuts
04-05-2005, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was already replying to this

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You learn something new everyday. I know have a refined explanation next time someone asks me how a microwave works.

wacki
04-05-2005, 07:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is misleading also. the heat comes from the resulting torque on the water molecules breaking the bonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting.... Just did a google on this:

http://www.geocities.com/yummyphysics/microwave.html

How do the water molecules change electromagnetic waves into thermal energy?

Water molecules are attracted to one another due to hydrogen bonding (Van der Waals forces). This hydrogen bonding allows water molecules to 'stick' together.

Microwaves produce an electric field that oscillates back and forth. In the cooking chamber, the oscillating field applies oscillating torques (forces tending to cause rotations) on the water molecules. The molecules are rotating back and forth to align their dipole moments with the field direction. If the water molecules were paired, they would twist around the common bond to align themselves. The problem is since there is hydrogen bonding, there can be four hydrogen bondings instead of one. The molecules must break at least some of its bond to be able to rotate. To break hydrogen bonding, energy must be added. The electric field from the microwaves breaks this bond and therefore the 'free' floating water molecules may form other groups. When they do form other groups, the energy that is gained through the breaking of the bonds is released as thermal energy.

wacki
04-05-2005, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Daryn is technically not correct./images/graemlins/frown.gif But for the vast majority, he is. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.talisman.org/~erlkonig/misc/microwave-metal-casting.html
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/metal_arc.html

daryn
04-05-2005, 08:52 PM
how exactly am i technically not correct?

or

how am i non-technically correct?

wacki
04-06-2005, 07:50 AM
You said all water does is heat water. The articles I linked to show that it also heats metal. I'm sure you knew that that's why I included "technically". I was just being facetious, nothing more.

Your posts in this thread were very good and I learned something today.

BOTW
04-06-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I put some newspaper in for a minute and it didn't feel warm. Not enough polar molecules I suppose. If I had an old microwave I'd be interested in the results after an hour. I wonder if it would become brittle and fall apart.

Since I think flames are necessary in any experiment, you should light it on fire first (use a turntable so it will find "hot spots"). It is usually recommended that you put a cup of water in as well, but I'm not sure if this is necessary since you have no metal. Consult your owner's manual. Anyway, it is not my microwave that will be damaged if you try it, so have fun. (If you start feeling warm, it is probably time to stop.)

There are some videos (http://home.earthlink.net/~marutgers/fun/microwave/microwave.html) around of cool stuff in microwaves.