PDA

View Full Version : Act III hand (#1), 1st hour... in retrospect I hate my play..

Jurollo
04-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Ok so this is an act III hand about 50 minutes in, blinds are 75/150, start with 3000, I have 4400 after doubling through with AA vs KK. UTG+1 raises to 300 (player is the definition of TAG and also someone I played in Act II with mere hours before). I see A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif in SB and reraise to T1000 (I had a decent stack for that early and wanted the T500 in pot). Folded to him and he calls T700 more (he has T2700 left, I have T3400).
FLOP: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Ok... no flush, no pair, nothing. I check to TAG, TAG says "you reraise me preflop and check?"
I answer "yup", and pass a smirk and he checks.
Turn K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Ok, so I have turned top pair, I was thinking of checking but I feel like a big bet scares off AQ-AT, JJ-99 so I bet T1500 into T2200 pot. He doesn't think and reraises all in. I think and have to call the T700 more even though I know I am beat. He shows a set of 7's and I am toast, down to T700.

Here is my question about the line I took, the more I think about it the more I think a T500 bet on the turn is appropriate to see where he is at, it should eliminate JJ-99, and possibly AQ, betting T1500 committs me to the end and if he reraises I don't think there is a hand I beat, and only chop against AK. I could be seeing KK, QQ, KQ, or a smaller set (which I thought I priced out preflop). How bad was the line I took?
~Justin

EDIT: Fixed, put CO instead of SB.

Tyler Durden
04-04-2005, 09:09 PM
The positions or the flop action is screwed up.

adanthar
04-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Where were you really sitting? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jurollo
04-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Fixed, too many hands I am thinking about.
~Justin

MLG
04-04-2005, 09:46 PM
figure out how you want to play different flops before you reraise preflop. I would check the turn again though after the hand played out like it did.

LethalRose
04-04-2005, 09:56 PM
I think you raised too much PF, 1k is almost 25% of your stack. Raise an amt that will allow you to control the pot and make a decent bet on any flop to see where you are.

if you had raised to 450, the pot would be 900, much easier to get away from and take a shot at w/o crippling you.

check the turn

adanthar
04-04-2005, 10:05 PM
I just call this PF because I a)really don't want to get called when I reraise and b)really don't want to have to call an EP TAG's all in.

Having done this, I still check the turn and call down any amount.

Roman
04-04-2005, 10:14 PM
umm so you wanna min re-raise out of position?

captainzodiac
04-04-2005, 10:14 PM
it's such a hard hand to play,situations,and how long it's been since you seen a hand,etc.
before i started reading posts on here,i'd just call with ak,and if i didnt flop great to it,i'd fold it,but since reading all the ak ideas on here,usually "push",i find myself going broke over and over with it,instead of the way i played it previously,which was watching other players go broke with it.hopefully i can get back to my old way!

Roman
04-04-2005, 10:15 PM
if he raised more, I would just push here and try to take it down. I might do the unthinkable and just call here and go on from the flop, im not really in love with this hand OOP with an EP TAG raiser.

Jurollo
04-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Well here is the reasoning behind the T1000 raise, while TAG he would still see some flops with mid pairs etc. I know this from the Act II. I thought I could get him off of 44-99 with this raise and just take the pot, also it would tell me a few more things, if he doesn't reraise me I can likely rule out AA and KK as well.
~Justin

Roman
04-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Well you were wrong with your read about getting him off of 44-99. The reraise just builds a really big pot out of position where you miss the flop 2/3 times.