PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Bar Tend?

DangerGoodson
04-04-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm looking to get into. Anyone know how I can get started?

ArchAngel71857
04-04-2005, 07:04 PM
I assume you are a guy. go into a palce that is a straight bar, not a restaurants. at restaurants, you usually ahve to be the best waiter, so you'll be stuck waiting tables for a while. Don't go to a sports bar. Most Sports bars want hot women, but there are exceptions to the general rule (gay sports bars). If you don't have any luck getting hired at places with liquor, try a tap room. Some managers are pricks about mixing drinks, but no one really gives a crap about opening bottles and pouring beer. If you do go to a place that does mixed drinks, be sure to say you will learn to mix however way they want. If all else fails, try a catering service.

-AA

Fratony
04-04-2005, 07:05 PM
take lessons. I took them at a place called Mix em up in NJ, you'll probably be able to find someplace near you if you do a search for bartending schools online.

skoal2k4
04-04-2005, 07:13 PM
find a small bar and bar-back there for awhile. You'll get OJT and be able to have a good time

Patrick del Poker Grande
04-04-2005, 11:15 PM
You'll probably have to barback for a while (months). Get in there, do some grunt work, and be sure to get in good with the more senior guys, owner/manager, etc. Depending on the place, it can be a lot about your 'networking' and people skills. The good shifts/jobs and more of them go to the guys they like and get friendly with and these are also the same guys who make it to bartender the quickest.