PDA

View Full Version : crime in britain, up to date nov 2002 facts

brad
10-22-2002, 09:16 PM
http://www.reason.com/0211/fe.jm.gun.shtml

you cant use 5-10 year old data to refute this!

andyfox
10-23-2002, 01:36 PM
To refute what?

When I was a kid growing up in New York, we always kept our door open until 10 or 11 at night. I don't mean unlocked, I mean open. Neighbors came and went, salesmen knocked, kids played. No one had a gun. Not my father, not anyone on the block. There was never a shooting in the neighborhood that I can remember.

Now I live in a much better, nicer neighborhood, and everyone basically has a gun (except me) and we have sixteen locks on the door, and with good reason.

Anedcdotal, to be sure, but to draw a straight line from gun control to more crime is a stretch. Maybe we should eliminate all controls on nuclear weaponry as well; let every country who wants one have one, in fact, encourage it by giving them technology, materials, etc. This will make the world safer.

I know that's not a perfect analogy, but it makes as much sense as the free market, free mind analysis.

Maybe there are other reasons why crime is worse now in London than it was 30 years ago.

B-Man
10-23-2002, 03:09 PM
Usually when I agree with Andy, it is on matters relating to baseball, but I agree 100% with Andy's response.

Jimbo
10-23-2002, 03:24 PM
Andy,

Have you ever considerd moving back to your old "not so nice" neighborhood where it is safe to leave your doors open?
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif
Jimbo

PS: In case it is relevant I am an advocate of the following theory: If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

brad
10-23-2002, 08:10 PM
perhaps, but the currenr crime condition is a fact. (some posters here refuted that with decades old data)

andyfox
10-24-2002, 02:22 AM
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif