PDA

View Full Version : Judicial aftershocks from the Schiavo case

tek
04-04-2005, 06:39 PM
linky (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2352&ncid=2352&e=4&u=/csm/20050404/ts_csm/ajudges)

Judicial aftershocks from the Schiavo case

Perhaps the biggest irony of the case was the extent to which conservative, pro-life lawyers acting on behalf of Schiavo's parents sought to persuade federal judges and justices to embrace an expansive constitutional right to life that would mandate affirmative steps to protect Schiavo's life. According to some analysts, it would have necessitated the same kind of liberal reading of the Constitution that upheld a right to abortion in Roe v. Wade - a constitutional holding denounced by conservatives as the epitome of judicial activism.

Utah
04-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Democrats crying about the rule of law and the republicans pushing for activism.

It is the reverse of the Elian case. It just tells you that they can all go blow themselves. No one has real principles anymore.

adios
04-04-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No one has real principles anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like at least some of the judges do.

Utah
04-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Why are we to believe that? Their ruling could simply be based on their personal views and it doesnt neccessarily follow that the rulings were based on principle, even if one likes their interpetation of the law.

lastchance
04-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Well, read their rulings. There's always a doubt, but a solid ruling is a solid ruling or vice versa.

Utah
04-04-2005, 10:08 PM
I'll take their rulings at face value. Fair enough. I liked the rulings even if I was greatly troubled by the case.