PDA

View Full Version : Good things happen when you peel?

Entity
04-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Meh. I'm back from Vegas. Live play is boring.

I didn't get much time in at the tables for various reasons (mostly spending time with the g/f and her family), but the descriptions of how live games seem to play out were good. I need to become less of a nit before I'm really going to enjoy live play though, I think.

So yeah. Fun hand.

Playing the $2/4 tables at the MGM while teaching the g/f how to play limit (she's primarily played PL and NL before and doesn't have much of a grasp on the game -- yet). Table is really good, usually running 7-8 to the flop, but has suddenly tightened up the last 5 or so hands, without explanation. I've got two really bad passive players on my right who play probably 80% of their hands for any number of bets preflop. On my left are three tightish players -- the gal on my immediate left is way too loose in the blinds, but is tight everywhere else. Folds very easily on the flop.

UTG limps (bad, very passive player, only bets with good hands, pretty easy to read) -- folded to the hijack, another absolutely terrible donk who seems to fancy himself to be decent. He's usually in for any number of bets preflop and will make really bad bluff-bets (like betting A6o into a field of 6 on a J84 board), but is usually pretty passive. I've seen him raise once or twice in two hours of play so far.

I look down at K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and raise in the CO. Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, now the donk in the hijack limp-reraises, I call, BB calls, UTG calls. 4 to the flop for 12SB.

Flop is 10/images/graemlins/heart.gif8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif5/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Meh. BB checks, UTG checks, Hijack leads out...I look to my left and see BB and UTG getting ready to muck, and I call. BB and UTG muck. Head's up on the turn for 7BB.

The turn is the 9/images/graemlins/club.gif. Hijack stares at me for a few seconds and bets. I raise.

nolanfan34
04-04-2005, 06:14 PM
Based on your read, I like it. Those types of players also are the types who love to put you on an overpair, call it out, then make a "great laydown".

Did you play any of the 6-12?

chief444
04-04-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
10/20?

meep_42
04-04-2005, 06:22 PM
What's the advantage of raising here versus calling? Is he folding a T? Why not let him keep on bluffing it, or is he so bad that he'll pay off a bluff?

-d

Entity
04-04-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Based on your read, I like it. Those types of players also are the types who love to put you on an overpair, call it out, then make a "great laydown".

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. We had a tragedy in the family recently (my girlfriend's dad died) so most of our time was spent together or with family. I'll look up the $6/12 or $10/20 next time I'm there.

I am planning on heading down to the muck or up to Tulalip soon, or another one of the cardooms if the local Seattle players are up for a 2+2 night.

Moozh
04-04-2005, 06:46 PM
I don't know... you say the guy is normally pretty passive but sometimes makes bad bluff bets. You're also directly to his left. It seems to me like you'll have plenty of chances to hammer him later. With the limp-reraise pre-flop I'd just let this one go on the turn and wait for a better spot (which will definitely come if he plays as you describe).

Entity
04-04-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know... you say the guy is normally pretty passive but sometimes makes bad bluff bets. You're also directly to his left. It seems to me like you'll have plenty of chances to hammer him later. With the limp-reraise pre-flop I'd just let this one go on the turn and wait for a better spot (which will definitely come if he plays as you describe).

[/ QUOTE ]

In limit poker I really don't like "waiting for a better spot." This is either a good spot or a bad one, and I'm not convinced which. What do we think of the flop call, too?

I do want to say that I love the fact that you can get more detailed reads in less time playing online, FWIW.

chief444
04-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Sorry to hear that Entity.

Moozh
04-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Fair enough. I still think you should fold the turn. The flop call is fine. What's he betting with on the turn that you beat? How sure are you that he's bluffing?

PokerBob
04-04-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Meh. I'm back from Vegas. Live play is boring.

I didn't get much time in at the tables for various reasons (mostly spending time with the g/f and her family), but the descriptions of how live games seem to play out were good. I need to become less of a nit before I'm really going to enjoy live play though, I think.

So yeah. Fun hand.

Playing the $2/4 tables at the MGM while teaching the g/f how to play limit (she's primarily played PL and NL before and doesn't have much of a grasp on the game -- yet). Table is really good, usually running 7-8 to the flop, but has suddenly tightened up the last 5 or so hands, without explanation. I've got two really bad passive players on my right who play probably 80% of their hands for any number of bets preflop. On my left are three tightish players -- the gal on my immediate left is way too loose in the blinds, but is tight everywhere else. Folds very easily on the flop.

UTG limps (bad, very passive player, only bets with good hands, pretty easy to read) -- folded to the hijack, another absolutely terrible donk who seems to fancy himself to be decent. He's usually in for any number of bets preflop and will make really bad bluff-bets (like betting A6o into a field of 6 on a J84 board), but is usually pretty passive. I've seen him raise once or twice in two hours of play so far.

I look down at K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and raise in the CO. Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, now the donk in the hijack limp-reraises, I call, BB calls, UTG calls. 4 to the flop for 12SB.

Flop is 10/images/graemlins/heart.gif8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif5/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Meh. BB checks, UTG checks, Hijack leads out...I look to my left and see BB and UTG getting ready to muck, and I call. BB and UTG muck. Head's up on the turn for 7BB.

The turn is the 9/images/graemlins/club.gif. Hijack stares at me for a few seconds and bets. I raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

pwned.