PDA

View Full Version : A couple of blind defenses

sfer
04-04-2005, 03:03 PM
In a 1/2 blind structure game, unraked, at Borgata. The villain is an NYC club regular who I've played with a fair amount. He knows me, I know him, I think he's solid, etc etc. He doesn't chop.

Hand 1.
Folded to the SB who raises. I call with XX. Frop is xxx, he bets, I fold.

Hand 2, several orbits later. Folded to the SB who raises. I call with XX. Frop is XXX, totally unrelated to my hand. He bets, I call. Turn is X. He checks, I bet, he folds.

Hand 3, about an hour later.
Folded to the SB who completes. I raise with TT. Flop is Q46 two crubs. I don't have a crub. He checks, I bet, he calls. Turn is a 9, not a crub. Check/bet/call. River is a card 5. Check/bet/call.

Hand 4, about 2 orbits later.
Folded to the SB who raises. I call with KTo. Frop is T75. He bets, I call. Turn is a 2. He bets, I call. River is a 4. He checks, I bet, he calls.

Hand 5, the next orbit.
Folded to the SB and he folds.

DMBFan23
04-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Hand 1. nice fold. with Xx you would have to raise, however.

Hand 2. dude you have 5 of a kind

Hand 3. nice value bet on the river. you'd think he'd steal with any Q hand worth playing, so he must be calling you down with a pair on the board or a lower pocket pair

Hand 4. I usually raise the turn in these spots and bet again if I improve (against certain bad players I would value bet if checked to), but I am thinking about your line now too.

Hand 5. did you flex at him?

ErrantNight
04-04-2005, 03:08 PM
pwnage.

scrub
04-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Not chopping in that game is stupid, especially given his seat--if I'm thinking of the right guy, I'm pretty sure that not chopping costs him money on other hands as well because some of the bad playing regulars don't like him and play a little less terribly against him as a result.

scrub

sweetjazz
04-04-2005, 03:29 PM
I like how you gave him the first pot, only to take his dignity later.

MercTec
04-04-2005, 05:16 PM
Thats like the perfect series of events.

1. You lose, no showdown.
2. You win, no showdown.
3. You win, showdown 2nd pair.
4. You win, showdown top pair.
5. WAPWNAGE

Even with that you're still Sir Stuck-a-lot....damn /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Luv2DriveTT
04-04-2005, 07:21 PM
I like hand #4, something tells me that was the tipping point for him, is that when he started to change his mind about trying to steal your blinds? Your passivity scared him eh, i would sure as hell scare me considering how agressive you can be when the enviroment is right.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Evan
04-04-2005, 07:29 PM
After I pull the #2 line on someone, if I thougth they remembered the hand, I'd raise the flop in #4.

private joker
04-04-2005, 08:35 PM
I'd raise the turn in hand 4.

sfer
04-04-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After I pull the #2 line on someone, if I thougth they remembered the hand, I'd raise the flop in #4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he didn't see my cards in #2 so he could just as easily have had worse nothing than 7 high, which is what I think I had. But your logic extends between #3 and #4 I think, when I value bet every street without a Q. At the time, in #4 I was comfortable enough letting him bet a hand with possibly 6 outs in a tiny pot (and didn't want to fold any hand I was ahead of, which is most of them), but I think he would have paid me off with a pair--but not Ace high--if I raised the flop. I'm still on the fence about trying to induce more action or not.

I'm happy you posted this because I wanted to see how coherent the 5 hands were together.

That guy
04-04-2005, 08:42 PM
the lack of turn raise in hand #4 is interesting. can you explain your thinking there? Do you figure he might bet the river and you can raise (if river is undercard)?

Evan
04-04-2005, 08:48 PM
The thing is, most people just don't vary their play enough is these situations. And the type of player you describe is likely ecent enough to try to put you on some range fo hands. When he sees you jsut call the flop in hand #2 he's almost always going to assume you have some piece. So he will ikely peg you as the type to call when you have something and occasionally raise on a bluff.

My thinking behind the flop raise in #4 is that you will often get excessive action from some weird hand or ace high that decides you're bluffing and pulls some weird stop and go.

sfer
04-05-2005, 12:10 AM
What's the value in a turn raise? Just about every hand that I beat is likely to fold and I'm not really worried about any draws. I'll get called or 3-bet when I'm beaten. The pot is 4 BBs when I have a turn decision and giving a cheap river card isn't a mistake for just about any pair draw, even 6 outers. And the way I played the hand, once he gives up on the river he'll pay me off with just about any Ace or any pair since my river bet looks very suspicious, especially in light of the prior hand.

flopmonster
04-05-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the value in a turn raise? Just about every hand that I beat is likely to fold and I'm not really worried about any draws. I'll get called or 3-bet when I'm beaten. The pot is 4 BBs when I have a turn decision and giving a cheap river card isn't a mistake for just about any pair draw, even 6 outers. And the way I played the hand, once he gives up on the river he'll pay me off with just about any Ace or any pair since my river bet looks very suspicious, especially in light of the prior hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You schooled this guys life so bad.... Going into this post I would have agreed that raising the turn or the flop with top pair on the KTo is the obvious right move HU. It makes so much more sense not to though in this situation.

Trix
04-05-2005, 12:58 AM
I´m raising the flop on number 4, it´s drawy enough to get a call-down from many hands.

sfer
04-05-2005, 04:28 PM
He mucked in hands 3 and 4.

sthief09
04-05-2005, 04:47 PM
you call way too much considering you have position. I'm 3-betting most hands I'm playing, especially the weaker ones with no showdown value. it's not like a peel where you can just toss it if you miss. it costs you money

I also don't get why you didn't raise the flop or turn with your KT top pair hand. he's going to pay off a lot there. he has to because it's headsup

Hoi Polloi
04-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Nice sequence of hands. I think the play in #4 is perfect given the sequence. He's replaying 2 and 3 in his head and just can't get away from it. Waiting for the river to bet just clinches the smack-down.

Nice.