PDA

View Full Version : "Your computer is attempting to send SSN over the internet"

grinin
04-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Weird,

I am getting this alert through Norton Internet Security when trying to access the "AJs - playing hard or hardly playing thread"

Anyone else?

Eratik
04-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Delete this post now. Do you see why? Not even kidding.

RaymondKHessel
04-04-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

sy_or_bust
04-04-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right. Hah, that's clever.

Alobar
04-04-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right. Hah, that's clever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get it...someone want to fill me in ? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

imported_CaseClosed326
04-05-2005, 12:47 AM
You want to let us all in on the joke?

wuarhg
04-05-2005, 06:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're all-in? I call.

Alobar
04-05-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're all-in? I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im gunna bump this thead everyday until someone actually tells me whats so funny.......cya guys tomorrow

sy_or_bust
04-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Fine. This is, at least, what I think it is.

It's the URL, mostly the part that says "&Number=", which sends 7 digits identifying the thread. Combined with the following numbers it can falsely alarm particular firewalls that SSN info is being processed (sometimes it only takes 6-7 digits to alarm anyway), and on an unsecure line. Obviously this is not happening, but it's quite easy for an individual now to reconstruct the SSN. :/

Eratik
04-05-2005, 02:36 PM
That's not funny. In fact, its the type of thing you don't go posting on the internet.

sy_or_bust
04-05-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's not funny. In fact, its the type of thing you don't go posting on the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not entirely. Anybody can randomly invent active SSNs; they become dangerous when associated with other personal information, which is definitely not available for this user. Plus, it's unlikely that the full SSN can be extracted anyway, though I admire your extreme discretion.

Alobar
04-05-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Might I suggest next time instead of responding in some really cryptic message to the original poster...you mearly PM him and tell him as to WHY he should delete his post.

Eratik
04-05-2005, 04:35 PM
I did both. I dont think most people check PMs.

grinin
04-05-2005, 04:56 PM
I definitely did not understand Eratik's original reply and of course it was too late to delete the thread anyway.

But I did appreciate his PM.
By the way I sent you back one also Eratik.

I am not so sure that this is the reason for the alarm though, because the numbers in the URL are not even close to my SSN. Can anyone think of any other reason?
Even if they were I don't know how anyone could track me down from my 2+2 login name.