PDA

View Full Version : I am so average

Guernica4000
04-04-2005, 02:23 PM
I need some help from the more experienced players.

I have been playing for some time now the daily $200+ multi-table tourneys on Party Poker but I can’t seem to get past the early money positions. It seems that I play the entire tournament at the average chip count while I see the chip leader quickly double my chip count. In the later stages I am always at a table with a decent chip count but not enough to intimidate anyone but the tiny chip stacks that are folding to not be on the bubble.

Can some of you give me some poker tips as to how to accumulate more chips so that I am thinking about winning the tourney as opposed to thinking oh no the blinds are coming up fast?

By the way for those of you with Poker Tracker I am rated semi-loose aggressive aggressive with over 25,000 hands in limit and no-limit.

Thanks in advance,

Guernica

Guernica4000
04-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Anyone?

skoal2k4
04-04-2005, 06:14 PM
steal, re-steal, and defend your blinds more

-or-

[ QUOTE ]

By the way for those of you with Poker Tracker I am rated semi-loose aggressive aggressive with over 25,000 hands in limit and no-limit

[/ QUOTE ]

you might be playing too many hands and playing them too far. Hard to say based on your post

CardSharpCook
04-04-2005, 06:20 PM
yeah, very hard to help with so little info. What you said about not having an intimidating stack is telling though... You suffer from stack envy. It isn't the size of the stack, it is how you use it. At least that's what all the girls tell me.

You may be too loose with your mid-sized stack. Patience is a virtue. Of course so is aggression.... but the point is, it is so hard to help you without seeing you play.

CSC

MSUcougar
04-04-2005, 06:28 PM
I agree... you really should post some hands or situations you're unsure about if you really want any sort of indepth analysis about your play...

PukaPlaya
04-04-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You suffer from stack envy. It isn't the size of the stack, it is how you use it. At least that's what all the girls tell me.
CSC

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

Seriously though, it sounds like maybe you need to try tightening up a little and pick your spots more carefully when being agressive. Tourney poker to me is all about situational aggression and timing. I have a long way to go myself but have learned this from experience & watching players who I consider to be more experienced and successful. They all seem to have an incredible amount of patience, are able to take down big pots with the right sized bet at the right time (for example rasing big or pushing from the BB into a multi limped pot and taking it down, dangerous but very effective move when it works), and when they get their chips in preflop they are usually the favorite.

Try playing some smaller buy-in tourneys, the 20+2, 30+3 & 50+5 on stars are good to practice new strategy as are the medium buy-in tourneys on Paradise. I also like the rebuys as well for the times when I don't want to be patient and want to build a big stack quick before the break.

I can often relate to how you are feeling but I think I am improving by watching others who consistently make it into the top 5-10% as well as really trying to be more selective about when I make my moves.

As I said I am by no means an expert and rarely enter tourneys with a buy-in higher than $100. My success has come from playing many smaller buy-in tourneys weekly. So if you unlock the secret of always being a big stack in a bigger buy-in tourney please PM me ASAP.