PDA

View Full Version : Roach problem

STLantny
04-04-2005, 01:33 PM
I have roaches....I know disgusting. I live in a 4 family flat that was built in 1900, that my uncle owns, and I pay 175$/ mo in rent, and like nothing in utilities. Great location about 2 blocks from anything, including a 5 star restaurant, and some of the best Italian joints in the world. It is a really nice apartment, at least mine, cause we just ripped everything out, and put new hardwoods/sink/tub/paint etc. Bdids and a couple other guys have attested to its niceness from pics. Im also a neat FREAAAAAK, for a college aged guy its sick, no dust, nothing on the floor etc. Now, last night, I was getting a bottled water out of the fridge, and by the door was a huge brown roach. I killed it, and then went to town spraying EVERYTHING with bug killer. About 20 min later, I went to check on things and they were EVERYWHERE, like 4 roaches crawling around. I didnt sleep last night at all, very gross for some reason. I have 3 options, as I dont want to say anything to my uncle, cuase hes old, on oxygen, doesnt need the hassle, to deal with it. I can:
A) move out and pay "real rent" of 500$ a month or more
b) get terminex out here and pay 500$ per year to take care of the WHOLE complex, not just my apartment. But, that means disturbing hte dirty old lady downstairs, and having to hear about it from her. Im sure this is where they are mainly comming from.
C) get just my apartment taken care of for about 200$ year. They garuntee that they will be out of my apartment, but not the whole building. IE they will just go down to the other 3 units. But its a year long garauntee, with house calls/emergency calls free.

mason55
04-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Maybe offer to go halvsies with your uncle on the building? It save him hassle and saves you money. Plus it saves him money if the other tenants notice and complain.

STLantny
04-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Ya, i thought of that, but in all honesty, I dont want to get him involved. He went 50 years + w/o having to deal with it, and he'll think Im a pain in the ass.

mason55
04-04-2005, 01:39 PM
What happens when the other tenants start to complain?

STLantny
04-04-2005, 01:41 PM
well, the other tentants include, my little brother, who for some reason just figures the glue traps he sets out are good enough. A guy that is moving out today, adn an old crusty lady that has been here for 10 or 12 years. Shes just old and dirty and doesnt care I guess.

wacki
04-04-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ya, i thought of that, but in all honesty, I dont want to get him involved. He went 50 years + w/o having to deal with it, and he'll think Im a pain in the ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grow some balls, you're just asking him a simple question. If he says no, he says no.

If he does say no, I would go with the $200 year long guarantee.

zaxx19
04-04-2005, 01:42 PM
175 in rent....maybe yu should just bite the bullet and pay for it.

Easy for me 2 say of course....BUT 175 RENT!!!

STLantny
04-04-2005, 01:43 PM
The other thing, it might be the guy thats moving out, too, as hes across the hall, and Ive really only seen 1 or 2 roaches at night since moving in about 2 months ago. But 5 in one night is my limit.

STLantny
04-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Eh, youve never met my uncle. Lets say, that hes old, Italian, and there is a garage in the back of my place, that has a 12x12 concrete cellar under it..that my cousins werent allowed to go near when they were young.

wacki
04-04-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I killed it, and then went to town spraying EVERYTHING with bug killer. About 20 min later, I went to check on things and they were EVERYWHERE, like 4 roaches crawling around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most roach sprays aren't instant action. It kills them slowly so they carry the poison back to the nest. Also, you should be using roach traps. The kind with the little pellets in them. Hide them in out of the way corners/crevices.

Bluffoon
04-04-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have roaches....I know disgusting. I live in a 4 family flat that was built in 1900, that my uncle owns, and I pay 175$/ mo in rent, and like nothing in utilities. Great location about 2 blocks from anything, including a 5 star restaurant, and some of the best Italian joints in the world. It is a really nice apartment, at least mine, cause we just ripped everything out, and put new hardwoods/sink/tub/paint etc. Bdids and a couple other guys have attested to its niceness from pics. Im also a neat FREAAAAAK, for a college aged guy its sick, no dust, nothing on the floor etc. Now, last night, I was getting a bottled water out of the fridge, and by the door was a huge brown roach. I killed it, and then went to town spraying EVERYTHING with bug killer. About 20 min later, I went to check on things and they were EVERYWHERE, like 4 roaches crawling around. I didnt sleep last night at all, very gross for some reason. I have 3 options, as I dont want to say anything to my uncle, cuase hes old, on oxygen, doesnt need the hassle, to deal with it. I can:
A) move out and pay "real rent" of 500$ a month or more
b) get terminex out here and pay 500$ per year to take care of the WHOLE complex, not just my apartment. But, that means disturbing hte dirty old lady downstairs, and having to hear about it from her. Im sure this is where they are mainly comming from.
C) get just my apartment taken care of for about 200$ year. They garuntee that they will be out of my apartment, but not the whole building. IE they will just go down to the other 3 units. But its a year long garauntee, with house calls/emergency calls free.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy charges you 175 for rent for gods sake. It is his building so tell him about the problem and that you want to exterminate the whole place and that you have it all taken care of you just wanted to check with him first before you do it. I am sure he will appreciate it and your problem will be solved.

wacki
04-04-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eh, youve never met my uncle. Lets say, that hes old, Italian, and there is a garage in the back of my place, that has a 12x12 concrete cellar under it..that my cousins werent allowed to go near when they were young.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what your uncle was in the mob? Grow some balls, it's just a [censored] question. He's not going to shoot you. Tell him you'll take care of everything and you would appreciate it if he splits the bill. Tell him the roaches can make him very sick. If he doesn't then just do it anyway. Your rent is cheap enough as is.

Seriously, do you carry your girlfriends purse?

wacki
04-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Or save yourself the $500 and do it yourself:

http://www.pestproducts.com/roachbait.htm

That is what I would do to be honest.

youtalkfunny
04-05-2005, 03:28 AM
You call five roaches a problem?

Guess you've never seen "Pacific Heights". /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ethan
04-05-2005, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Or save yourself the $500 and do it yourself:

[/ QUOTE ]

I had good luck with the bug-bomb aerosol sprays. I lived in a warehouse in downtown LA for about 1.5 years. It had roaches, although progressively fewer since we bug-bombed every 4-6 months. The real problem wasn't the roaches, it was the black widows that came in to eat them.

Those, we took care of with WD-40 and a lighter. YMMV.

JGalt
04-05-2005, 04:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what your uncle was in the mob? Grow some balls, it's just a [censored] question. He's not going to shoot you. Tell him you'll take care of everything and you would appreciate it if he splits the bill. Tell him the roaches can make him very sick. If he doesn't then just do it anyway. Your rent is cheap enough as is.

Seriously, do you carry your girlfriends purse?

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with growing balls.