PDA

View Full Version : over under on units wins?

mostsmooth
04-04-2005, 10:43 AM
i have no idea what the vegas O/U is,but i think 20 or 21 would be a tough decision, so heres a poll for those baseball fans here (which there seems to be plenty).
ps i am a total jinx, so i wouldnt be surprised if randy is on the dl within a week of this post. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

mostsmooth
04-04-2005, 07:55 PM
thats it? 17 votes?

stabn
04-04-2005, 07:59 PM
I think the over under for him really has to be around 18 or 19. Taking the over on 20 for a guy at his age is really gambling a ton, even given his track record.

mostsmooth
04-04-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the over under for him really has to be around 18 or 19. Taking the over on 20 for a guy at his age is really gambling a ton, even given his track record.

[/ QUOTE ]
anybody know the official number?

pshreck
04-04-2005, 08:31 PM
ESPN radio had it at 18. Of course ESPN doesnt make gambling lines, and they got this number from Vegas.

mostsmooth
04-04-2005, 08:41 PM
wow, 18 is kinda low. i guess they lowered it to compensate for health problems.(which i hope he doesnt have any)
if he stays healthy, he wins 20+ easy i think

Justin A
04-04-2005, 08:44 PM
I don't think 24 or 25 wins is out of the question. It really depends a lot on his health.

zaxx19
04-04-2005, 08:55 PM
18, over 20 given his age and health issues is absolutely absurd.

istewart
04-04-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pshreck
04-04-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not 'absurd', but I think Zaxx is right in that it doesnt make much sense to choose this (like if you had to actually put money on it). If vegas put up a 20 o/u for johnson, people would beting that under like crazy. Look at his w/l history over his 17 year career. He got 20, 21, and 24 in 3 seasons, the other seasons are all under 20.

I think 18 is really accurate.

istewart
04-04-2005, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't put the O/U on 20, no, but I read zaxx's post to mean that the idea of him winning 20 is absurd.

Dead
04-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Please, please show me a site where the number is 18. I would be on over 18 in a SECOND. I would throw down a chunk on that. If I would bet on 20 over then I would certainly bet on over 18.

pshreck
04-04-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't put the O/U on 20, no, but I read zaxx's post to mean that the idea of him winning 20 is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

pshreck
04-04-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please, please show me a site where the number is 18. I would be on over 18 in a SECOND. I would throw down a chunk on that. If I would bet on 20 over then I would certainly bet on over 18.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the lines are down, but its sad you didnt look before because that was indeed O/U for Johnson. I believe it was the highest of any pitcher, tied with Santana (Santana was 18, or 18.5 I think).

stabn
04-04-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wow, 18 is kinda low. i guess they lowered it to compensate for health problems.(which i hope he doesnt have any)
if he stays healthy, he wins 20+ easy i think

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but the line has to take into account the fact that he might not. If he doesn't the under wins for sure.

mostsmooth
04-04-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not 'absurd', but I think Zaxx is right in that it doesnt make much sense to choose this (like if you had to actually put money on it). If vegas put up a 20 o/u for johnson, people would beting that under like crazy. Look at his w/l history over his 17 year career. He got 20, 21, and 24 in 3 seasons, the other seasons are all under 20.

I think 18 is really accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]
he had 3 20 win seasons and youre knocking him because its only 3? most every other pitchers seasons are "all under 20"
now hes older yes, but argueably in the best situation hes ever been,no?

pshreck
04-04-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

he had 3 20 win seasons and youre knocking him because its only 3? most every other pitchers seasons are "all under 20"

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? How would you think I am knocking him? I am knocking people who think o/u set at 20 is accurate. I agree he may be the best pitcher ever, and I think a target win amount for him this season is 18 wins.

Dead
04-04-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? How would you think I am knocking him? I am knocking people who think o/u set at 20 is accurate. I agree he may be the best pitcher ever, and I think a target win amount for him this season is 18 wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who on here said that he is the best pitcher ever?

I would never say that. One of the greats though? Definitely.

Clearly the greatest pitcher ever is Sandy Koufax. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

lastchance
04-04-2005, 09:25 PM
I can't believe that more than half the 2+2'ers are taking the over at 20. There is no way that is a +EV even money proposition.

pshreck
04-04-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe that more than half the 2+2'ers are taking the over at 20. There is no way that is a +EV even money proposition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly... how many of these guys actually made the real money bet at 18 wins? Probably none.

mostsmooth
04-04-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly... how many of these guys actually made the real money bet at 18 wins? Probably none.

[/ QUOTE ]
if i was a gambler, i would have bet a lot on the over 18

pshreck
04-04-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why you aren't a gambler.

mostsmooth
04-04-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
oh i see, so vegas set a bad line?

pshreck
04-04-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

Dead
04-04-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't say that about him. You're the one who told me you'd give me 2 to 1 odds when what you really wanted was for me to give you 2 to 1 odds. I think knowing how to write odds is one of the basics of sports betting.

mostsmooth
04-04-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]
sorry if i misunderstood,but you seemed to infer that i would be an idiot to bet the over. and if that were the case, the o/u must be set wrong if its so obvious.

pshreck
04-04-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Don't say that about him. You're the one who told me you'd give me 2 to 1 odds when what you really wanted was to give me 2 to 1 odds. I think knowing how to write odds is one of the basics of sports betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead, trust me, you dont even want to go here.

May I remind you, you claimed Johnson was a lock to win 20 games, then wanted 1-1 odds on your lock? Mine was a typo, yours was just not understanding how odds work. And if you were a gambler, then you would have known that sites offer bets on pitcher wins every year, and you would have been able to bet your 'lock'.

Dead
04-04-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Don't say that about him. You're the one who told me you'd give me 2 to 1 odds when what you really wanted was to give me 2 to 1 odds. I think knowing how to write odds is one of the basics of sports betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead, trust me, you dont even want to go here.

May I remind you, you claimed Johnson was a lock to win 20 games, then wanted 1-1 odds on your lock? Mine was a typo, yours was just not understanding how odds work. And if you were a gambler, then you would have known that sites offer bets on pitcher wins every year, and you would have been able to bet your 'lock'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never claimed to be a gambler. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But I made a bet with you at 2:1 for you.

pshreck
04-04-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

But I made a bet with you at 2:1 for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, and I still appreciate that.