PDA

View Full Version : Isolation raises in small ante games

jon_1van
04-04-2005, 08:55 AM
So a month or so ago I played a 5/10 hand where an EP player with an A up completes. I'm next with Queens (I can't remember pocket or split...but they were live). And I folded.

Other times I'll call and hope I'm ahead. Other times I'll raise and try to isolate.

Lately my thoughts on "what to do when an A raises and my hand is pretty good" have been all over the place.

-Sometimes I'm feeling really tight and just fold.
-Other times I'll try to isolate if there are a bunch of people left
-Other times I'll just call and hope it stays short handed (more likely if I'm in LP)

Anyway, I don't like not having a decent plan. And I don't think all of 7CSFAP applies for 2 reasons. 1. This is a much smaller ante structure. 2. Players aren't quite as advanced.

Can anyone help with this problem in general?

Andy B
04-04-2005, 11:02 AM
I think it boils down to this: how likely is it that your opponent has a hand other than Aces? If he raises more than seems reasonable, obviously it's pretty likely that he's raising light, and that's a good time to isolate, even if the ante is fairly small. If he's very straightforward, fold those two Queens. Even if he doesn't have Aces, he's probably got a little something, and he can always pair Aces later in the hand. If he's somewhere in between, you have to use your judgment. If it ends up that you fold more often than you "should," the penalty isn't that great, because the ante is pretty low. I'm guessing I haven't told you anything you didn't already know.