PDA

View Full Version : Calling raises while playing small ante games

jon_1van
04-04-2005, 08:45 AM
Let's say you are playing a full 5/10 table.
.50 ante.

So there is $6 in the pot to start assuming the BI doesn't bet the full amount.

A EP/MP Ace opens for a completion. You are next with ::

pocket Tens, split Tens
pocket Jacks, split Jacks
pocket Queens, split Queens
pocket Kings, split Kings

In all cases assume your cards are live and your kicker is lower than your pair.

How many of these hands do you call with? Do you need a live 2 flush? (I realize having one will be good but is it critical for making your decision)

Andy B
04-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Well, again this is opponent-dependent. If I am going to play, I will probably raise to get it heads-up. I might call if I have a hand where I think I want multi-way action, such as (J/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif. If I'm re-raising to isolate, it doesn't make that much difference whether I have Tens or Kings, and it doesn't make that much difference whether they're split or concealed. Having a straight and/or flush kicker might make me lean towards calling rather than re-raising, as I don't mind multi-way action as much, and it prevents me from putting in three bets with the worst hand.

jon_1van
04-04-2005, 11:58 AM
How about I say :

What do you need to call here. Are you ever tempted to isolate?

BeerMoney
04-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Jon, your question really isn't easy, and, as Andy said, its all player dependent. If they will raise with big cards, 3 flushes, and small pairs, you may have to play against them.

Are they trying to run over the table? Has the table been playing pretty loose, and this is an unlikely ante steal?

I think playing small pairs against big pairs is what separates the fish from the winning players. Winning players don't do it.

Wouldn't it be nice to have poker tracker keep track of the number of times people raise with an ace showing?