PDA

View Full Version : Here's one I struggled with

SGS
04-04-2005, 06:08 AM
I have AKo in LMP with a stack of 1200 in a party 20+2. The blinds are at 25/50 and there are 3 limpers to me. What do you make it and why? I was thinking somewhere around 300, but then that is putting a fourth of my stack in and if I get called the pot will be pretty large. I was just really lost right here. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

SGS

ninjaunderwear
04-04-2005, 06:24 AM
Raising to 300 will likely give you position for the rest of the hand. If the flop doesn't hit you well, 900 chips left with blinds at 25/50 still gives you some breathing room.

If you push, you'd probably win uncontested. Maybe some information about the other stack sizes would influence the decision.

ZootMurph
04-04-2005, 09:05 AM
This is dependent on many things... like how the table has been playing, how I have been playing, and what I hope to accomplish. At this stage of the tourney, I'm generally not playing too aggressively and, if I think there are some thinking players, I'll make a raise to 200. Since it is early, I will ocassionally just call here in the hope that I can trap someone for a large chunk of their stack.

In any case, table texture, reads on players in the pot and playing behind you, and how you've been playing are important on making the best decision possible.

Pairadux
04-04-2005, 12:43 PM
I would go all in there. Take the blinds that are already out there and don't take any chances by seeing a flop where you can lose your stack, if a king hits and someone gets trips or 2 pair, for instance. Someone might call your all-in on a coin flip or worse (unless you are really unlucky and someone has AA or KK), which you'll win your share of the time as well, but 90%+ of the time you are going to win all the money already in the pot without taking much of a chance. Most people will put you on QQ-AA when you raise 20x the big blind pre-flop, so you will discourage most hands from calling you. AK is only about a 65-35 favorite over crap hands like 2 3 offsuit. Just my opinion, I am sure most others would disagree with this strategy based on what I've read in books and things... but I have been successful using this in multi tournaments.

FlipPoker
04-04-2005, 02:21 PM
I'd raise it to 200 (4 * BB). You could win the blinds outright. Even if you don't, you have a great starting hand and you'll probably narrow the field. If you miss the flop, you can still outplay your opponent(s) because you showed strength preflop. If you have to release the hand after seeing the flop, you're still in decent shape.

MylesD
04-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Before putting that raise in you have to think who the limpers are. Will they call your raise and then make a play at the pot with almost anything on the flop? Especially if they can put you on 2 big cards.

The raise will give you position. Will it cut down the number of players seeing the flop? Whatever you raise you should already think "can I let my hand go and be alright with losing that raise".

I would say this is a chip management issue in the beginning of the tournament. Are you alright playing short stacked against the players at your table or should you limp and see what the flop brings. Remember, the other players won't expect AK.

AK is strong against if you can get heads up. I usually advocate raising with it if there is some clear edge I can achieve with the raise. If there is not one then it is also another drawing hand that has many strong possibilities.

David