PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question about Egg Whites

Michael Davis
04-04-2005, 02:23 AM
I'm not really worried about salmonella. Can I just drink them out of the carton?

-Michael

bennyk
04-04-2005, 02:58 AM
assuming you're also not worried about disgusting consistency and terrible taste, i'd have to say yes.

bk

mason55
04-04-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really worried about salmonella. Can I just drink them out of the carton?

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

100% yes.

Evan
04-04-2005, 03:02 AM
You're an idiot.

ceyoung
04-04-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really worried about salmonella.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

i had campolo-bacter once, which is like salmonella, it was the worst two weeks of my life. you should be concerned about it.

GrekeHaus
04-04-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could just cook them.

Your call.

Michael Davis
04-04-2005, 03:39 AM
"Or you could just cook them."

Cooking them would negatively affect my hourly rate.

-Michael

ceyoung
04-04-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

getting salmonella and running to the bathroom to crap/puke every 10 minutes also will effect your hourly rate.

GrekeHaus
04-04-2005, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

But what if you could cook multiple eggs at the same time? Your hourly rate per egg might go down, but your overall hourly rate would go up because you'd be cooking more eggs/hour.

Glenn
04-04-2005, 03:43 AM
What's wrong with a protein shake?

wacki
04-04-2005, 03:47 AM
http://www.ochef.com/336.htm

Michael Davis
04-04-2005, 03:58 AM
"What's wrong with a protein shake?"

Nothing, this is what I am going to use them for.

-Michael

Rick Nebiolo
04-04-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really worried about salmonella. -Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Why aren't you really worried about salmonella?

~ Rick

DBowling
04-04-2005, 08:51 AM
i hear your body has a harder time processing the protein of raw eggs, so that you dont get the full amount of protein contained in them unless they are cooked. i have no idea where i heard this, poker has ruined my formerly health conscious mind, so take this with a grain of salt.

BeerMoney
04-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Dude, just boil them.

Is little Michael Davis trying to get BIG?

xadrez
04-04-2005, 08:56 AM
I believe pasteurized eggs are free of salmonella. They are a little bit more expensive than regular eggs.

Drink away

ceyoung
04-04-2005, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Dude, just boil them.

Is little Michael Davis trying to get BIG?

[/ QUOTE ]

you cant boil egg whites. it sounds like he's using the kind that come pre-separated and cost about 10X the amount of normal eggs.
egg whites (http://www.eggology.com)

Michael Davis
04-04-2005, 09:15 AM
"Dude, just boil them."

No, I am too lazy for this. I have bought probably 8 cartons of eggs in the past year and thrown away 90% of the eggs because I'm too lazy to do anything with them. I also have no love for food so drinking something disgusting or inconsistent doesn't bother me any more than having to eat regular stuff.

-Michael

Michael Davis
04-04-2005, 09:17 AM
"Why aren't you really worried about salmonella?"

First, because salmonella isn't that big of a concern, especially if you don't buy your eggs on street corners. If I get salmonella, I could die. And I'm rather neutral about that. What irks me most is the possibility of extended illness.

Second, I am young and invincible. I cannot possibly get salmonella.

-Michael

Michael Davis
04-04-2005, 09:19 AM
"i hear your body has a harder time processing the protein of raw eggs, so that you dont get the full amount of protein contained in them unless they are cooked. i have no idea where i heard this, poker has ruined my formerly health conscious mind, so take this with a grain of salt."

Honestly, I thought it was the other way around. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

-Michael

Michael Davis
04-04-2005, 09:20 AM
"you cant boil egg whites. it sounds like he's using the kind that come pre-separated and cost about 10X the amount of normal eggs."

10x is hyperbole, but they are more expensive. Still, if I can just drink them it's easily worth it. I need to find a foreign woman.

-Michael

spamuell
04-04-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what brand of egg whites Michael buys but from that site:

Eggsecution of the ultimate food safety ?
Only Eggology takes the additional step of testing for: Salmonella, Listeria, and Organaleptic quality. These additional tests performed by an independent lab make Eggology completely safe to eat raw, whip meringue, use for royal icings, and drink in a protein shake. We use only ranches that follow: No hormones, No antibiotics, No irradiation, No GMO’s (genetically modified organisms), Vegi-Fed, and ranches that support animal rights and environmentally green practices!

DBowling
04-04-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I thought it was the other way around. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

91% of proetin digestable when cooked, 51% digestable raw (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&li st_uids=9772141)

biotin deciciency (http://www.mercola.com/2005/feb/9/raw_eggs.htm)

So cook youre eggs /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ceyoung
04-04-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

10x is hyperbole, but they are more expensive. Still, if I can just drink them it's easily worth it. I need to find a foreign woman.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

The eggology ones are actually about 9X more the price. they are $2.26 for the equivalent of 4 eggs. if you get a 2-for-1 deal from safeway you can get 36 eggs for $2.50. The other egg white substitutes are a lot cheaper, but the eggology ones taste way better, mainly because they are 100% egg.

MowrMowr
04-04-2005, 10:46 AM
You can boil a dozen at a time in a fairly normal sized pot...it's easy enough to separate the yolk from the whites once boiled, and as mentioned above, the protein is actually usable when boiled. That's 15 minutes of work every 3-4 days (assuming you eat 3-4 a day).

BeerMoney
04-04-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I get salmonella, I could die. And I'm rather neutral about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is your best line ever.

I remember being on planes, and imagining the thing going down and just thinking, "meh, oh well."

MMMMMM
04-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Why don't you just hard-boil a bunch of eggs, then when you eat them, toss out the yolks. Safe, and with a little salt and pepper has got to taste better than raw.

The Dude
04-04-2005, 11:24 AM
I went through a 6 month period where I would blend raw eggs and drink them after breakfast. I got salmonella once, but it was very mild and not really bothersome. I'm sure it could have been worse, but after the whole experience I'm not so concerned about it either.

GrekeHaus
04-04-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So one of those Egg Council creeps got to you too, huh?