PDA

View Full Version : Adjustments to AleoMagnus' SnG strategy for 20+2 thru 50+5

number5858
04-04-2005, 01:43 AM
I was just wondering what adjustments are necessary for 20+2's thru 50+5s compared to AleoMagnus' "Beating Party 10+1 Guide" at http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=602767& fpart=&PHPSESSID=

Does anyone make any substantial changes in play when moving up?

The Yugoslavian
04-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Ummm....the guide is a starting point. It's not really a very good 'system' IMO.

In fact, I think there is a decent chance it's not even +$EV if one follows it to a T and does nothing else.

Yugoslav

Maulik
04-04-2005, 02:28 AM
Make less mistakes, the bigger the buyin the more relentless the players are.

number5858
04-04-2005, 10:07 AM
I agree that it is just a starting point. I don't follow it exactly as every table is different and you have to adjust. Another reason is that I play on Paradise where you start with 1000 chips instead of 800. As a result, in the first round or two, I will play a suited connector in late position or complete the SB if I have something like KJs or AQ. I will also play AQs-AJs from late if there aren't too many limpers in front of me.

One thing that I notice is that $20 + 2s seem easier because while there are not nearly as many idiots as the $5+1s and $10+2s, there are still a couple per table. With fewer idiots, I end up getting sucked out on a lot less.

DMACM
04-04-2005, 12:06 PM
You say the 20+2 is easier because there is less fish and less of a chance of a suck out. My friend had a similar explanation for the 20+2 being easier. I don't understand this because it seems like one of your edges is getting in there with the best of it and any game where you were more likely to be outdrawn youd also be more likely to be able to beat. Could there be another explanation for the 20+2 being easier?

proell
04-04-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing that I notice is that $20 + 2s seem easier

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not. There are a lot of threads that go through this in detail so I won't get too into it, but this is the great illusion of poker. You play a couple hundred $11 SNGs, move to the 20s and play a few dozen to find that they seem easier. They're not, and if you are not a profitable player in the $10s you will not be a +$ player in the $20s long-term.

Phil Van Sexton
04-04-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You say the 20+2 is easier because there is less fish and less of a chance of a suck out. My friend had a similar explanation for the 20+2 being easier. I don't understand this because it seems like one of your edges is getting in there with the best of it and any game where you were more likely to be outdrawn youd also be more likely to be able to beat. Could there be another explanation for the 20+2 being easier?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of players in the 20s and 30s are simply players who moved up from the 10s after discovering the Fold button. Maybe they don't call and knock you out as often, but they also don't call and knock each other out as often.

Against a bunch of idiot calling stations, you can just sit back and watch them kill each other. Once you get to the bubble, you push and they call. Maybe you win, maybe you lose and make a bad beat post.

Since they knock each other out quickly, you can just fold into the final 5 almost every time, and then you have a 60% chance of making the top 3. Sure, you will get smoked the other 40%, but that's poker.

If the players are tighter, there will often be 6 or 7 still alive when the blinds get high. Sure you can use your "skill" to steal blinds but that doesn't make up for the fact that there are now 7 people fighting to get in the money instead of 4 or 5.

DMACM
04-04-2005, 12:59 PM
This is sort of off topic but sometimes in 10+1's ill push AK to a raise at 10-15 blinds and get called by 88 and 99. Is pushing here at that level a mistake?

SuitedSixes
04-04-2005, 01:03 PM
The $22s are not easier. Solid bubble play is much more essential at the $22s.

Jimbobobb
04-04-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing that I notice is that $20 + 2s seem easier because while there are not nearly as many idiots as the $5+1s and $10+2s, there are still a couple per table. With fewer idiots, I end up getting sucked out on a lot less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil has already explained why this is flawed thinking.

[ QUOTE ]
This is sort of off topic but sometimes in 10+1's ill push AK to a raise at 10-15 blinds and get called by 88 and 99. Is pushing here at that level a mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

My normal line with AK with position on a pf raiser is to reraise. If they push at 10/15 blinds I'll fold. Don't see much point at pushing with AK either if you're expecting a call. Risking so many chips early is probably a huge leak. I see no reason to (hopefully) coin flip so early in a tournament.