PDA

View Full Version : downswing?

Cougar1
04-04-2005, 01:23 AM
I have a question about playable hands. I played 4/8 at the muck today.The first two of three hands I won. Then for over 2 hours I did not win a hand. I use the advice from SSHE. I rarely had anything to play and when I did I would be in front preflop and on the flop, but my hands would not hold up.This has happend several times in the last few sessions I've played.
My question is how long have you played without a good starting hand and how long have you played without winning a hand.
I feel I am doing something wrong but I can not put my finger on it.
Thanks Cougar1

LSUfan1
04-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Keep playing tight early and pushing your advantages. I just recently started playing again at .5/1, and started out on a greater than 50BB downswing. I know 50BB is MINOR compared to some, but IF you are playing right it will turn around in your favor.

Pov
04-04-2005, 11:33 AM
The hand count live is much slower than online so it feels like you're going a lot longer without a winner than you really are in terms of # of hands. I have gone 1.5 - 2 hours winning only a single pot many times already in my limited live experience and I am doing quite well so far IMO. Always be properly bankrolled to get you through these slumps.

Low limit players tend to play to a showdown much too often so your hands are going to get run down more often than you would like. On the other hand, these same people are going to donate tons of bets to you on the turn and river with hands that have little or no chance to catch up to you so stay aggressive with your better hands. Value bet mercilously, check-raise often to protect your hand, but not if you're going to give a free card. Play cards that make big hands that win against large fields (i.e. sets, straights and flushes).

revots33
04-04-2005, 12:08 PM
I've gone entire sessions with almost no playable hands. It happens. Have to be patient and keep mucking the trash hands, for hours if necessary. There will be other days when the deck hits you and you're playing what seems like every pot and winning most of them.

Niediam
04-04-2005, 03:59 PM
I have lost my first 100+ hands mutiple times.

Right now I'm on a 4k hand losing streak... after having an insane win rate for my 10k hands immediately before that.

Welcome to poker. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cougar1
04-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Thank you very much for your responses.

I have been playing for 4 months now. My MO is to play one night and then I spend about 2 weeks going over my mistakes and my successes. This has worked really good for me and I am quite suprised with my learning curve.

After spending a day to think about yesterday's session, I am much more objective. I realize I had gone on tilt out of fustration . I was trying to 'make' things work, even when a king on the turn would put my hand at a disadvantage.

Next time when I realize this is happening again I will simply get up and leave, until I truly learn what Patients is.

Coug