PDA

View Full Version : Tourney all-in raise UTG after 1 card - comments please..

Moose
10-22-2002, 12:41 PM
In a recent small NL tournament, I found myself with 1550, and the big blind to my right. Blinds are 400-800.

I see my first card and its an ace, so I immediately raise all-in for effect. The initial desire is that someone will think I'm obviously horsing around, and call me with JT suited or some other mediocre hand. I'm positive I'll get called at least by the BB who has about 5k and is smart enough to call with any two if it's up to him. So, since I'm getting called anyways and I'm not going to do anything with Ax other than raise all-in, it doesn't seem so bad an idea.

It gets to an observant player at the end who calls all-in for 800 with AJ. I turn over my hand and just happen to have AQ suited and win the pot.

We talk about it afterwards, and he says that since he's quite sure I'd only do so on an ace, he could then easily fold KQ or any Ax up to A8.

From the sounds of things, if I'm prepared to raise all-in after the first card and its only a king, and people are prepared to fold KQ and Ax, that's a huge gain for me.

Comments please. Should I *only* do this if I get a king first, as if I get an ace, I would like to add credibility by looking at both cards before raising in the hopes of driving out a bigger Ax or a small pair. Or, is my "early position" actually going to have me more likely to be called as anyone can see that the BB is right next door.

M.

SittingBull
10-23-2002, 03:05 AM