PDA

View Full Version : Make this call?

dfscott
04-03-2005, 11:11 PM
UTG seemed a pretty typical 20+2. I think this is marginal chip EV call, but I felt like I might not get a better shot. The table had gotten very aggressive with lots of pre-flop raising taking down the blinds, so it was difficult to find a spot to steal.

In retrospect, as even as all the stacks were, I'm thinking I might should've waited?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t1010)
Hero (t1100)
BB (t1655)
UTG (t1140)
MP (t3095)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t1140 (All-in)</font> , <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t1100 (All-in) ...

curtains
04-03-2005, 11:16 PM
I think that calling is correct against a typical range here. If your opponent is very tight however it MAY be okay to fold, but I'd usually call. For example if I was UTG, it would definitely be +EV to call.

curtains
04-03-2005, 11:18 PM
I put the numbers in eastbay's program and it pretty much confirms my suspicions. Against an allin range of 77+ and A9+, its slightly -EV, but you should rarely find someone who's that tight. Against someone who pushes with any pair, any ace, and high kings, its hugely +EV to call. Also I would push with even weaker hands there UTG.

The Yugoslavian
04-03-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The table had gotten very aggressive with lots of pre-flop raising taking down the blinds, so it was difficult to find a spot to steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this is the closest thing to a read on your opponent as you give us, it suggests to me that your opponent will *easily* be on a loose enough range to make calling +$EV.

I know you're itching to post results, but don't, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

As Curtains has already said, unless this particular opponent is being very tight with his play and hasn't been pushing any hands, calling here is prolly good.

Also keep in mind the blinds are about to smack him all up over the his head - I can't imagine anyone being tight enough to make calling with 88 here a negative EV play.

Yugoslav

dfscott
04-03-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The table had gotten very aggressive with lots of pre-flop raising taking down the blinds, so it was difficult to find a spot to steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this is the closest thing to a read on your opponent as you give us, it suggests to me that your opponent will *easily* be on a loose enough range to make calling +$EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, sorry about that -- he just didn't stand out at all. His Playerview stats were typical (26% at this level). But my gut feel was that he was on a steal with some kind of Ace.

The Yugoslavian
04-03-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But my gut feel was that he was on a steal with some kind of Ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't really a range....

But sounds like you felt he was capable of playing many if not every aced hand here. If that's the case your call is money....in more ways than one, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

The range you have to put him on to make your call -$EV is very tight (like 77+,A8+) and if you add any more hands to the range your call becomes profitable in a hurry...

Yugoslav