PDA

View Full Version : match.com

slickpoppa
04-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Has anyone tried this? I have heard indirectly that people have had good results meeting normal attractive women through this. Lately my options for meeting women have been limited to meeting random skanks at bars, which gets kind of old.

ilya
04-03-2005, 11:10 PM
I know a guy who slept with like 40 women in one year thanks to an online dating service, but I can't vouch for them having been "normal, attractive" women.

mason55
04-03-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know a guy who slept with like 40 women in one year thanks to an online dating service, but I can't vouch for them having been "normal, attractive" women.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i know a few people who say they're great for meeting "random skanks" so if that's what you're tired of, you'll have to be selective about who you hook up with. i have heard that there are normal people on there too though, so it depends. i think it's like going to a bar only not as fun.

Sooga
04-03-2005, 11:23 PM
I tried it once for a couple months. Got nowhere, kinda like in real life!

nothumb
04-03-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have the right number of arms and legs and know how to buy a girl a beer this is not that hard without an online dating service. At least in any decent sized city.

NT

InchoateHand
04-03-2005, 11:32 PM
Yeah, but where would you get the money for the beer? Seems like a losing proposition to me.

I would try linked place (http://www.conservativematch.com). Remember-- Sweethearts not Bleeding Hearts.

So far I have found a lot of interest, but no girls who put out.

ilya
04-03-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have the right number of arms and legs and know how to buy a girl a beer this is not that hard without an online dating service. At least in any decent sized city.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe for you but not for a sullen weirdo like me.

Rhone
04-04-2005, 12:40 AM
I have no first-hand experience, but my sister-in-law dated through match.com for about a year, and last May married a guy who she met through it. So, obviously it worked for the two of them.

Try it out, what's the risk?

good luck,
Rhone

nothumb
04-04-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so rather than attempt to lure in unsuspecting females via the internet, why not learn some social skills and form meaningful relationships?

Jesus, the internet age definitely has its pitfalls.

NT

theBruiser500
04-04-2005, 12:54 AM
nothumb keep up the good work on this forum

bugstud
04-04-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so rather than attempt to lure in unsuspecting females via the internet, why not learn some social skills and form meaningful relationships?

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

how are guys like you on this forum? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

you know, the ones that see "daylight" and this newfangled "girls" and "thongs" thing I keep hearing about.

mason55
04-04-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

how are guys like you on this forum? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

you know, the ones that see "daylight" and this newfangled "girls" and "thongs" thing I keep hearing about.

[/ QUOTE ]

My girlfriend lets me post on here for two hours a day when I'm not busy at work to pay for her apartment or taking her out to dinner or eating her pussy without getting any sex in return.

My plan is to marry her. I'm going to wait until after my testicular removal surgery to ask, though.

TimM
04-04-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you are pretty deep in the 'burbs, have male dominated hobbies and jobs, don't like bars, smokers, etc. This was me, so I tried it. Why not?

I put up a profile, send a few messages, most of which went nowhere, and got lots of responses, most of which I would not be interested in at all. In one year, I went on one date. She did not have a picture posted, but she was in the same town so it was easy enough to meet. She described her body type as average. Let's just say that this was very far from the truth...

A long time before this, I also spoke to one woman I met on a different site, who lived further away. She didn't have pictures posted either, but did send me quite a few by e-mail. We spoke on the phone and AIM for a while, until I figured out from inconsistencies in her story that she was sending me pictures of her daughter, and the stuff we talked about was a combination of her story and her daughters. This one was a real psycho, thinking she could get away with this until we actually met, and hoping I would want her anyway. For years she kept sending me e-mails begging forgiveness, even though I never replied to any of them.

Anyway, to the OP, don't let these stories dissuade you too much, just be careful and watch out for red flags. Insist on a posted picture, a consistent story, and meet quickly in person. I have actually heard the success stories too, so maybe if you're careful it could work for you.

mason55
04-04-2005, 01:39 AM
It seems to me that the best part of these is quantity. Go on as many dates as you can.

If you have a picture and you're attractive you can probably get many many dates. If the girl is ugly, have some fun with her (I love goin on dates with ugly girls and goofing on them). Eventually the law of large numbers will work in your favor.

MasterShakes
04-04-2005, 02:17 AM
I had a ton of experience with match.com over the spring and summer of 2004. I went on a bunch of dates. Some were a lot of fun, and others were complete busts, much like ordinary dating.

Make sure that when you join, do a pretty thorough profile, posts several pictures of yourself, and be very honest about your body type and your personality. You'll almost certainly come across girls you like eventually.

I have also tried both Yahoo Personals and E Harmony. E Harmony gets a flat grade of F from me. It was terrible. Yahoo Personals was less thorough than Match in terms of profile, but did provide many of the same women, in addition to a lot more. Yahoo is also cheaper than Match. If you don't care too much about personal details before you meet women, go with Yahoo.

Edit: I also met my current girlfriend of 6+ months on Match, and I'm pretty happy.

GrekeHaus
04-04-2005, 03:39 AM
How much does it cost actually? I've been thinking about using it myself lately.

ilya
04-04-2005, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

I do alright with forming meaningful relationships, whatever that means, but what in god's name does that have to do with getting into girls' pants?

Anyway my OP wasn't 100% serious you know.

ilya
04-04-2005, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my sister-in-law dated through match.com for about a year, and last May married a guy who she met through it. So, obviously it worked for the two of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your conclusion does not follow from your evidence /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gamblore99
04-04-2005, 04:35 AM
wow. TimM that is a sick story. Throw in some dead hookers and shoot outs, and you have yourself a movie.

TimM
04-04-2005, 05:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wow. TimM that is a sick story. Throw in some dead hookers and shoot outs, and you have yourself a movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah man. The sick thing is that her family members sort of knew what was going on and didn't try to warn me. Once I got suspicious, I started checking everything. I saw something in the upper corner of one of the supposedly recent scanned pics she sent, so I zoomed in and saw it had a date of 1985. I knew her real name and city, so I used U.S. Search (http://preview.ussearch.com/preview/preview.jsp) to find out her real age (43 instead of 25).

Once I confronted her with the info, she could not deny it. The next day she IM's me on a new name to tell me she just took a whole bottle of pills to kill herself, then signed off. Of course this was BS, as she contacted me later that day. I told her to [censored] off and I blocked AIM and Yahoo to anyone not on my buddy lists.

She sent a lot of whacko e-mails at first, and I never replied to anything of course. This tapered off after a while, but she still would send an occasional e-mail or leave a phone message begging forgiveness every few months for about 3 years. I have not heard anything for about a year, so maybe she finally gave up.

Pinga
04-04-2005, 07:36 AM
What a horror story. Usually it's the girls who get that experience.

I have a dormant match.com account. I payed for a year but haven't been using it the past few months. While I was reading this thread my mailbox dings. Someone winked at me. She's is very scary. How strange.

I'm on the fence regarding the service. I made it to dating with 5 women and committed dating with 2. If you're having a hard time meeting someone that's not a bad price.

I did meet one woman who wasn't nutty like Tim's but she did lie about everything until it was time to meet face to face. Be careful.

The problem with the service is the time between expressing interest and making it out on a date. It's considered bad form to push for a phone number or an immediate date. It takes way too long to 'get to know each other' online and convince these women to actually go out. Half the time you don't hit it off in person.

Attractive women have lots of other offers a day in their mailbox every day so you have competition. The women get pummelled by whackos so they are skittish.

If you do go for it I would say have low expectations. Follow the advice re: pictures and a good profile. Read other mens profiles to see what they look like. That will help you write a more unique one.

DO NOT RESPOND to any woman without a picture. If she won't post a photo you do not want to date her.

Best,
Pinga

thatpfunk
04-04-2005, 08:08 AM
1. I imagine the types of girls that would use an online dating service, and I can't imagine wanting to date them.

2. People still go on dates?