PDA

View Full Version : Is poker the next...

Inthacup
04-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Is poker the next golf or the next professional wrestling? I think it could go either way, but I feel like it's drifting towards professional wrestling. Thoughts?

Cup

bugstud
04-03-2005, 10:58 PM
interesting analogies

you might want to add bowling to the list though.

nolanfan34
04-03-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking more along the lines of Nascar. Built up "personalities", good guys, and bad guys. And just enough speculation of cheating.

slickpoppa
04-03-2005, 11:11 PM
I think it all depends on the economy. As long as people have a lot of disposable income, I think poker will stay as strong as ever.

bugstud
04-04-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking more along the lines of Nascar. Built up "personalities", good guys, and bad guys. And just enough speculation of cheating.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going for the "guys playing for a living in things people love to play all the time, think they're great, but really suck" avenue. Also, excessive drinking and playing.

playersare
04-04-2005, 06:24 AM
I think the golf analogy is the closest because a) anyone can play and b) the monetary opportunities are escalating.

with wrestling and nascar, we are merely spectators not participants. and how much do wrestlers make anyway?

bowling has never been a lucrative sport relative to the rest of the sports/entertainment economy. typical modern season tourney in is about 200 entrants competing for $200K prize pool (first prize $40K). occasionally the stakes are doubled or tripled, but I've never seen a winner take more than $125K in a week for a major, or earn more than $300K a year total. plus they only bowl competitively during the fall and winter. obviously, poker is a bigger deal now (no pun intended).

jakethebake
04-04-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is poker the next golf or the next professional wrestling? I think it could go either way, but I feel like it's drifting towards professional wrestling. Thoughts?

Cup

[/ QUOTE ]

In what way?

MarkL444
04-04-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Cup

[/ QUOTE ]

In what way?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he means how they are viewed by the public. both are popular of course, but golf is much more prestigous/classy or whatever.

FeliciaLee
04-04-2005, 11:35 AM
I would love to say golf, but, of course, I can't. Yeah, it's more along the lines of wrestling/nascar/cheesy reality show.

I was hoping it would go the way of billiards. Have you seen those tourneys on TV lately? I saw one in a hotel room, and was amazed at how classy the production was, and how they constantly strove for a professional show. I was hoping poker would go that route, but instead it looks like it's going the other way /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif
www.felicialee.net (http://www.felicialee.net)

Rick Nebiolo
04-04-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the golf analogy is the closest because a) anyone can play and b) the monetary opportunities are escalating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most mediocre golfers know they are mediocre and won't make any money (except hustling their friends and acquaintances getting spots). Most mediocre poker players have no idea they can't play.

~ Rick

Rick Nebiolo
04-04-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is poker the next golf or the next professional wrestling? I think it could go either way, but I feel like it's drifting towards professional wrestling. Thoughts? - Cup

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately its slightly closer to wrestling in terms of stlye (especially when someone like Helmuth is on) and has the potential to flop if we run into a major scandal.

~ Rick

tolbiny
04-04-2005, 02:51 PM
A lot of "scandles" actuall boost ratings and money flowing in. Though a "fixed" world series event- or worse yet- Party poker being exposed as using algorithms to boost pot action could really hurt it. But If you read about the NBA this year and how thier ratings are up "despite" the altercation between detriot/indiana you really have to laugh. That publicity has helped the league more than anything.

TimTimSalabim
04-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Nascar is a good analogy. Also because the high cost of competing every week at the top level forces the competitors to find sponsors.

gergery
04-04-2005, 06:18 PM
I think golf is a good analogy in terms of the economics – individuals largely paying their own pay needing prize money to sustain themselves. The top players will get corporate sponsors, as Raymer (Stars), Gordon at al (FT), Hellmuth (UB) have done.

Wrestling seems to be the analogy for image, sadly, but that’s not too surprising since the game is after all about deceiving your opponents.

Hallett
04-04-2005, 06:38 PM
I have been saying, for about a year now, that poker is the new golf, though for a different reason:

Back in the 60's the baby boom generation went through the rock 'n roll-hippie years. In the 70's this same generation switched to disco, and for physical fitness and social pleasure, took up tennis. They graduated to chasing BMW's in the 80's, and then took up golf in the 90's. They are getting older, and want something social, that they can pick up quickly. The generation is wealthy and well educated, which all fits well with poker. It is not as physically demanding as golf, and can be done in any weather.

Of course, at each step along this generational evolution, others that are not part of the baby boom generation participated as well, as it was the 'thing to do'. I am 25 years younger than the generation, but I too played tennis as a child in the 70's, learned to golf, and now am playing poker. I think poker is the new equivalent of golf, as a passtime of a generation.

Rick Nebiolo
04-04-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of "scandals" actually boost ratings and money flowing in. Though a "fixed" world series event- or worse yet- Party poker being exposed as using algorithms to boost pot action could really hurt it. But If you read about the NBA this year and how their ratings are up "despite" the altercation between detriot/indiana you really have to laugh. That publicity has helped the league more than anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is people watch basketball, few play. Many people play poker and its mostly people who play (or want to play) that watch.

~ Rick

ArchAngel71857
04-05-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Cup

[/ QUOTE ]

if you mean closer to wrestling as far as big breasted women developing lesbian subplots, then i very much hope yes.

-AA

GuyOnTilt
04-05-2005, 05:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually really like televised PBA.

GoT