PDA

View Full Version : Running Routine Help

Tron
04-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Well, it's about time to get rid of the gut I've accumulated over the winter months since I expect this summer to be filled with much poolside and lakeside debauchery, so... I need to start running again.

I've only ever ran before as part of sports practice, so I don't know where to begin.

Right now I can only run about 3 miles at a 9-minute pace... If anyone knows what they're talking about and can give me a pretty intense (4 to 5 days per week) routine that will help me trim down siginficantly over the next 5 weeks (coupled with a diet, of course) and allow for improvement, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

donger
04-03-2005, 09:22 PM
check http://www.runnersworld.com , they have tons of articles and training programs

Tron
04-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Thank you very much.

bwana devil
04-03-2005, 09:49 PM
if you PM me your email address i can send you a good routine tomorrow that i have. there are three levels of fitness intensity depending on how strong a runner you are.

i began the routine several months ago and have dropped some seriuous weight as a result.

brassnuts
04-03-2005, 09:55 PM
I recently heard that walking is actually better for shedding fat. Not completely sure if this is true or not. The explanation was that running uses up a different form of stored energy in your muscles and skips most of the fat burning process. I can't remember many specifics though.

JasonP530
04-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Perhaps walking burns more fat comparitively to running, but in terms of fat per time spent exercising, its not close.

zagosh
04-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Cut caloric intake(easier said than done) specifically carbs(esp. sugar) and excessive fats. You dont even have to excercise! Although I would definately reccomend it.

jakethebake
04-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Try the Jeff Galloway approach. (http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/index.html) It's great for beginners. It's what they mostly recommend for beginner marathoners, but it's good for any beginning runner. It's a great low-intensity way to get started w/o a lot of pain. I ran a lot at one time in my life, and thought Galloway's approach was kinda silly. Then I tried it later when I was getting back into it, and really changed my mind.

Anyway, check out the link above. It has complete training programs, etc.