PDA

View Full Version : Steak rub suggestions

brassnuts
04-03-2005, 09:00 PM
I usually just go with a dry rub, something like this (I'm not exact, these are just estimates for how much I put in):

6 parts paprika
5 parts salt
3 parts pepper
3 parts garlic powder
2 parts thyme
1 parts oregano
1 parts cayenne

It's pretty basic. Anybody have any little secret rub ingredients?

Also, when I BBQ some steaks, I like to make twice baked potatos. Usually just mixing in some sour cream, cheddar, bacon and chives. I was thinking of adding a hint of garlic into them this time, maybe even try a little cream cheese. Think this is a good idea?

exist
04-03-2005, 09:15 PM
soy sauce, garlic salt, and pepper. let it sit for 45 minutes or so, then grill. simple and delicious.

so basically just try adding some soy sauce.

wacki
04-03-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I usually just go with a dry rub

[/ QUOTE ]

Not knowing how to rub your meat is a problem among many young meat rubbers. It's nothing to be embarassed about and is perfectly normal for those attempting to figure out how to provide themselves with the most pleasurable meat rubbing experience. Using the dry rub technique it is -EV in the long run as your meat can dry out. With excessive drying, cracking on the surface of your meat can occur. If you are going to rub your meat you need something with a little more "wetness" to it. Moisturizers are key. As you get comfortable with your meat, you'll find yourself better able to refine your meat rubbing experience, thus making the act more pleasurable for yourself and your meat rubbing partners.

stabn
04-03-2005, 09:28 PM
I think there might be a hidden message here, but i just can't quite grasp it.

brassnuts
04-03-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Not knowing how to rub your meat is a problem among many young meat rubbers. It's nothing to be embarassed about and is perfectly normal for those attempting to figure out how to provide themselves with the most pleasurable meat rubbing experience. Using the dry rub technique it is -EV in the long run as your meat can dry out. With excessive drying, cracking on the surface of your meat can occur. If you are going to rub your meat you need a little lubrication. Moisturizers are key. As you get comfortable with your meat, you'll find yourself better able to refine your meat rubbing experience, thus making the act more pleasurable for yourself and your meat rubbing partners.

[/ QUOTE ]

As usual, you really sound like you know what you're talking about. You think sometime, as a favor, you could rub my meat for me?

mason55
04-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Not a dry ingredient, but I'm a big fan of the Italian dressing.

wacki
04-03-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As usual, you really sound like you know what you're talking about. You think sometime, as a favor, you could rub my meat for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a couple of slabs of roast beef in your apartment I'll be glad to bring my meat mallet and pound it till it's nice and tender. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lazymeatball
04-03-2005, 10:01 PM
So has the general consensus turned away from marinades and towards dry rubs recently? I was always a fan of letting my meat sit in beer, vinegar and various spices in the fridge the night before I plan to cook it.

brassnuts
04-03-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So has the general consensus turned away from marinades and towards dry rubs recently? I was always a fan of letting my meat sit in beer, vinegar and various spices in the fridge the night before I plan to cook it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the way I've done it lately and had pretty good results. But, I should have explained more thoroughly. I actually brush a little oil onto the meat before putting the rub on it. But, I don't like to marinade a good cut of steak.

mason55
04-03-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But, I don't like to marinade a good cut of steak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate. If you have a refined palate you can appreciate the taste of great steak even if it's been marinated. The marinade just makes the flavor more complicated.

daryn
04-03-2005, 11:22 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

mother nature is a bit[/b]ch.

bholdr
04-03-2005, 11:35 PM
rib steak, thin cut:

crushed black pepper
sea salt
minced garlic

that is all.

DBowling
04-04-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not knowing how to rub your meat is a problem among many young meat rubbers. It's nothing to be embarassed about and is perfectly normal for those attempting to figure out how to provide themselves with the most pleasurable meat rubbing experience. Using the dry rub technique it is -EV in the long run as your meat can dry out. With excessive drying, cracking on the surface of your meat can occur. If you are going to rub your meat you need something with a little more "wetness" to it. Moisturizers are key. As you get comfortable with your meat, you'll find yourself better able to refine your meat rubbing experience, thus making the act more pleasurable for yourself and your meat rubbing partners.

[/ QUOTE ]

Postoftheyear

zagosh
04-04-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Postoftheyear

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed

WillMagic
04-04-2005, 12:51 AM
You should consider pming nothumb. He's a wizard when it comes to culinary stuff.

Will

stabn
04-04-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mother nature is a bit[/b]ch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes it is.

JaBlue
04-04-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Postoftheyear

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed

[/ QUOTE ]
wrong

JaBlue
04-04-2005, 02:08 AM
here's what I do

First score the steak. use a french knife and make diagonal slashes say 1/4" deep and 1" away from each other. This is wrong measurements but when you do the criss cross apttern you'll know how it should look.

Mince up a ton of garlic and rub it into the scores along with some crushed black peppercorn. Then cook it

Its simple, but its great. Remember that how you slice it depends on the cut of meat. If its a really nice cut you can make cubes or whatever, but if its london broil or cheaper, make very thin slices.

This also goes great on sandwhiches when you have leftovers.

Shajen
04-04-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
here's what I do

First score the steak. use a french knife and make diagonal slashes say 1/4" deep and 1" away from each other. This is wrong measurements but when you do the criss cross apttern you'll know how it should look.

Mince up a ton of garlic and rub it into the scores along with some crushed black peppercorn. Then cook it

Its simple, but its great. Remember that how you slice it depends on the cut of meat. If its a really nice cut you can make cubes or whatever, but if its london broil or cheaper, make very thin slices.

This also goes great on sandwhiches when you have leftovers.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this method not dry the meat out horribly?

I'm curious, and I may try it, but it definitely sounds like this method lets a lot of juice escape.

jakethebake
04-04-2005, 11:05 AM
I hope these aren't good steaks y'all are talking about cooking. For cheap meat, that's fine, but good meat shouldn't need all that. Maybe a little pepper while it's cooking. And *shamefully* I occasionally add a squirt or two of L&amp;P.

NJchick
04-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Buy the ready made bottle or from scratch see below

4 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon dehydrated onion
1/2 tablespoon dehydrated garlic
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
1/2 tablespoon dried fennel

Mix together and store in a shaker. Shake or rub 1 tablespoon seasoning onto 1 pound steaks, pork chops and hamburgers before grilling or broiling.

For a zesty marinade, add 2 teaspoons seasoning to 1/4 cup olive oil and 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Add meat; marinate 45 minutes.

DMBFan23
04-04-2005, 11:12 AM
my steak cooking career started out with a bunch of marinades and rubs, and it was pretty fun to experiment. however, now I go with

-good meat. not filet mignon or anything, just a nice quality slab.
-a little olive oil
-a dash of salt
-a dash of pepper

grill it over super high heat for like 3 minutes per side, then move it to low heat (I usually do it by stacking more coals to one side of the grill) until it is nice and medium rare. you can use the section the steak used to be over (the hot section) to grill vegetables or whatever else you have to grill

Shajen
04-04-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my steak cooking career started out with a bunch of marinades and rubs, and it was pretty fun to experiment. however, now I go with

-good meat. not filet mignon or anything, just a nice quality slab.
-a little olive oil
-a dash of salt
-a dash of pepper

grill it over super high heat for like 3 minutes per side, then move it to low heat (I usually do it by stacking more coals to one side of the grill) until it is nice and medium rare. you can use the section the steak used to be over (the hot section) to grill vegetables or whatever else you have to grill

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah bro, I got the regular method down for steaks, I grill a mean one.

I was curious about jablue's cut the steak before you cook it method.

I really don't understand how his steaks don't taste like shoe leather. If it works, I'll try it though.

I'm always looking for new ways to grill meat. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Boris
04-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Eat less red meat. When you do eat steak, spend a few extra bucks on really good piece of meat. Then you won't need any steak rub. Just grill and then add a pinch of salt to bring out the flavor..

mason55
04-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Not a good thread to read while I'm working through lunch.

I'm definitely having steak for dinner tonight.

OrangeHeat
04-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Add some rosemary to your recipe.

Orange

STLantny
04-04-2005, 02:59 PM
IMO, a steak should have nothing but salt and pepper. Maybe a little olive oil to sear it quick. My parents use salimigia, which is olive oil, lemon juice, and fresh crushed garlic, salt and pepper, use a little bit to coat the meat, not necassarily marinate it for an hour, and save some for after to put the steaks in er obv in a seperate place from the raw meat.