PDA

View Full Version : My second live sng: 99 on 245 flop

shejk
04-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Pretty early in a 150 dollar live sng. Blinds are 100-200, av stack 8k. 9 starting, 8 left. I have about 6k in my stack.

I get 99 utg, and decide to limp. I don't like getting any calls and have to play a big pot out of position. Besides there are some habitual pf raisers that I'd love to push this hand on. Unlike earlier hands, 3 people limp behind me, sb completes and bb checks.

6 people see the flop, pot 1200 chips.

comes 245, rainbow, sb and bb checks. I overbet 2k into the pot, since I'm sitting really reclined and doing my bets with my feet.

one fold, and then the chipleader pushes me allin. I drew a bad beat on him in an earlier tourny, and he's been joking a lot about getting me back for it. Everyone folds up to me, and I....?

My feeling is that he thinks I'm weak, but I do figure he has a made hand of some kind - he wouldn't push on me with nothing.

EasilyFound
04-03-2005, 08:49 PM
I had the exact same hand in a live SNG also. Same thing. 99 UTG. I too limped. Several callers, including SB and BB. Same kind of raggedly flop (2-3-6). Something like that. I too overbet the pot. Why? I'm not sure. Another player raises my 3x my bet. I put him all-in. He shows me 2-2, and later comments that he would've folded had I raised. I mention this only because of how similar the two hands were. You are a better poker player than me I guess /images/graemlins/laugh.gif, b/c sounds like you folded and don't know what he had.

shejk
04-04-2005, 01:59 AM
He he, I'm not saying yet how I played it, figured the answers would be better without me rambling about results.

Maulik
04-04-2005, 02:27 AM
I think its very possible for a blind to be holding 36 or A3. That said, I fold the allin here.

eastbay
04-04-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty early in a 150 dollar live sng.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are they offering live SnG?

eastbay

mcpherzen
04-04-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty early in a 150 dollar live sng. Blinds are 100-200, av stack 8k. 9 starting, 8 left. I have about 6k in my stack.

I get 99 utg, and decide to limp. I don't like getting any calls and have to play a big pot out of position. Besides there are some habitual pf raisers that I'd love to push this hand on. Unlike earlier hands, 3 people limp behind me, sb completes and bb checks.

6 people see the flop, pot 1200 chips.

comes 245, rainbow, sb and bb checks. I overbet 2k into the pot, since I'm sitting really reclined and doing my bets with my feet.

one fold, and then the chipleader pushes me allin. I drew a bad beat on him in an earlier tourny, and he's been joking a lot about getting me back for it. Everyone folds up to me, and I....?

My feeling is that he thinks I'm weak, but I do figure he has a made hand of some kind - he wouldn't push on me with nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The phrase is "no set, no bet." It is not, "no set, no bet, unless you have an overpair." Also, you may want to repeat a few times to yourself, "it is OK to fold 99 UTG with 7 opponents sitting behind you."

Although you are below-average, you have 30xBB, making you a big stack. Stay patient and wait for a real hand or better opportunity. The flop overbet is not real good poker. Looks like you're going to win a $1200 pot or go broke. Even an average opponent will notice you've virtually committed yourself to that pot (with 1/3rd of your stack in there), so I'm guessing chip leader pushes thinking it'll be called...that's not real good for you. Of course, he could have TPTK, or 88, or the 3, but what a difficult decision you've brought upon yourself.

Once that flop comes down, your hand's value resides in it's abilty to beat (a) a bluff and (b) top-pair. It's a check-and-see-what-develops-behind-you hand if there ever was one.

Congrats though on being able to make bets with your feet. That certainly makes it easier to get loaded faster.

--Z

LethalRose
04-04-2005, 02:37 AM
I dont think its correct to overbet a flop and then fold to a push. Whenever I overbet I'am 90% sure i have the best hand and want to punish people if they are going to draw against me, if they push i call and usually im against a flush draw or OESD.

I think you have to fold this..I raise PF on a loose/passive table.

shejk
04-04-2005, 06:53 AM
First, the discussion about playing the hand at all or not:
the blinds went up every ten minutes, doesn't sound like much perhaps, but with everyone drinking and no dealer the hands took a long time. I don't think we did more than 20-30 hands per hour when 8 people at the table. Besides, the blinds were doubling all the way to 2000-4000. That means that in this one, I didn't have that many hands before they were really high. I definately figured I could play nines so as they would give me positive expectation for the hand.

On to my guessings about villain.

Yeah, well if the only alternatives were top pair or straight/set...
I'm thinking, what are my odds of drawing out on two pairs? Should have 6 outs on the turn and 10 on the river right? He does have 4 redraw outs though... some hands will split (3-6, 3-A).

With that in mind, I'm thinking that he might have me beat bad (straight or set), he might have a hand I have a decent chance of drawing out on, or he might have a hand that I'm a pretty good favorite to win.

I don't think the tight guys I was playing with would ever play 36 (yeah, one of them might, but this wasn't him), even though there were already two limpers. A3, I guess that could be a possibility. My range of hands on him was suited connectors or low pairs though in this situation. That said, he should have either a set, a pair like 33 with an openended, 66, 77 or 88. He could also have 34 pair and openended (if he would play them that low, I don't think he does that often), 67 for an openended or 45 for two pair.

Of those hands, would he push a set? He's certainly not putting me on the straight with such an overbet! So... he should be able to smoothcall that and get all my money on the turn, no?

So, if he has a made hand, I think he wants to protect it, maybe even get me to fold with his push.

shejk
04-04-2005, 06:55 AM
The table was actually tight and aggressive. This was the first hand that looked even remotely like this. Cant remember more than three people seeing the flop in another hand all evening. My plan preflop was actually to call and then push if I got a raise from one of the most aggressive players.

shejk
04-04-2005, 06:58 AM
In the baltic sea, between sweden and estonia... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a feeling a lot of swedes want to play sngs (you sort of know how much you can loose I guess) but earlier they've been more like 5 or 10 dollars buyin when I've been playing.

shejk
04-04-2005, 07:00 AM
I feel it's too tight/passive to fold this because two players might have flopped the straight. There are so many other hands they could have. And I didn't think it likely that anyone would limp with A3 or 36.

Maulik
04-04-2005, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel it's too tight/passive to fold this because two players might have flopped the straight. There are so many other hands they could have. And I didn't think it likely that anyone would limp with A3 or 36.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the SB blind completing and the BB checking?

shejk
04-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Yeah, those were the two players I was talking about... but I thought (still do) that they were the only ones likely to have played A3 or 36.

I'm not the one seeing ghosts and monsters under my bed when I have no indication there is anything there except dust.