PDA

View Full Version : NL West Champs

jesusarenque
04-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Well, it is about time for the Dodgers to begin defending their NL West crown. Any crazy Giants fans out there want to bet on who finished higher? Dodgers in a walk.

Jack of Arcades
04-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Dodgers will take this and it won't be close.

tworooks
04-03-2005, 08:18 PM
not a giant fan here. but i would be willing to bet with you on the padres and dodgers. i'll take the padres in a nutshell. dodgers aren't gonna defend.

pshreck
04-03-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'll take the padres in a nutshell.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?

tworooks
04-03-2005, 08:20 PM
i'll take them to have a better season than the dodgers, without a thought

jesusarenque
04-03-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'll take them to have a better season than the dodgers, without a thought

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "they" you mean the Giants and by "better season" you mean a better won loss record, then what/how much shall we bet?

Jack of Arcades
04-03-2005, 08:27 PM
He means padres.

pshreck
04-03-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He means padres.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and there is no 'they' in his sentence.

BWebb
04-03-2005, 08:29 PM
What's the bet? I'm sure I will be collecting by August.

jesusarenque
04-03-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He means padres.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and there is no 'they' in his sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. I meant "them." Anywho, the Dodgers will have a better record than the Giants and the Padres.

jesusarenque
04-03-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you want the bet to be?

BWebb
04-03-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's just do a simple avatar bet. Win choses the others for two weeks.

jesusarenque
04-03-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, but I don't have an avatar, and I don't know how to get one. Somebody will have to tell me.

tworooks
04-03-2005, 08:43 PM
i dont know. we can do a money bet. i got an account on absolute, so if you do too we can do transfer money feature for the loser. if you don't got one on there, name another site that has transfer money that u have an account on. pm me and propose me some sort of bet if you want.

LAGmaniac
04-04-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, but I don't have an avatar, and I don't know how to get one. Somebody will have to tell me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here ya go

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/sharkbythebay/images/dodgerssuck.JPG

Jack of Arcades
04-04-2005, 02:38 AM
I'll take any avatar bet for the Dodgers.

DontRaisePlz
04-04-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Creepy Guy
04-04-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jason_t
04-04-2005, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ThisHo
04-04-2005, 04:27 AM
HUGE Doger fan here...

and the boys in blue will NOT repeat as NL West champs this year. They have exacly NO sticks. Their big off-season move was what? Resigning MiltonBradley? Please. Their pitching staff will keep every game close, but just like 2 years ago when they were 31st in runs, this year's offense will be dreadful (maybe not 31st, but 25th or lower in runs).

I like the Giants to win the West, but only because its only going to take 91wins to do it. The Pads still have Klesko running around that HUGE outfield in Petco and their pitching is probably 1 year away from being DOMINANT (Peavy already is by the way).

That's what ThisDodgerFanHo Has To Say!

Jack of Arcades
04-04-2005, 04:51 AM
Milton Bradley, JD Drew, Hee Seop Choi, Jeff Kent, Jose Valentin...

You're freaking kidding me if you think the Giants can pull of 91 wins with that defense.

ThisHo
04-04-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bradley is above average, but not a guy I want to build my team around. Drew has 1 season with 100+RBI and is ALWAYS hurt. Choi has lots of potential (and always has). Kent is past his prime, though he'll provide some bang in that lineup. I have no opinion on Valentin.

[ QUOTE ]
You're freaking kidding me if you think the Dodgers can pull of 91 wins with that defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Look... I love the Dodgers, but I'm terrified about this season. They have what looks like a fantastic rotation and Gagne, et al. make the bully one of the best in the league, but... there are more questions than answers.

LetsGoDodgersLetsGo!
ThisHo

Justin A
04-04-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You're freaking kidding me if you think the Giants can pull of 91 wins with that defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying the Giants play the Dodgers every game this year? I'm confused.

ThisHo
04-04-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you're saying the Giants play the Dodgers every game this year? I'm confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the poster was originally addressing 2 points:
1 - that the Dodgers offense is better than I think with Kent/Bradley/Choi/Valentin/Drew
2 - the Giants defense stinks

my point is that the poster needs to look at the Dodgers he listed and understand that they have to play defense as well... Kent and Choi on the right side of the infield - I wouldn't want to be a Dodger pitchre this year!

ThisHO

SossMan
04-04-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SossMan
04-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Padres
Dodgers
Rockies
Giants
Dbacks

dodgers win wildcard.

DontRaisePlz
04-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Don't forgot Werth when he comes back.

Paluka
04-04-2005, 01:16 PM
I think this division will be pretty close, with the Dodgers as favorites. If Bonds comes back early this would change things.

johnnybeef
04-04-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not a giant fan here. but i would be willing to bet with you on the padres and dodgers. i'll take the padres in a nutshell. dodgers aren't gonna defend.

[/ QUOTE ]

someguy2
04-04-2005, 02:22 PM
I'll take the Dodgers, though it'll be tough with the way San Diego is looking this year.

LAGmaniac
04-04-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll take any avatar bet for the Giants.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

touchfaith
04-04-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll take any avatar bet for the Giants.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I cee that Avatar wager and raise a flattering signature towards the winners team!

Bring it!

HUMM BABY! and Duck the Fodgers! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

WillMagic
04-04-2005, 09:40 PM
It will be close.

The Dodgers have a slight edge in the bullpen. (this isn't a huge edge since the Giants picked up Benitez and the Dodgers don't have Mota.)

The Giants have an edge in the rotation. Both rotations have 2 mediocrities - the Giants have Rueter and Williams, the Dodgers have Weaver and Lowe. The Dodgers might even this out if Penny and Odalis both come back from injury and have strong years AND Tomko doesn't carry over his success from the second half of last year AND Lowry doesn't pan out.

Catcher is a wash - Matheny and David Ross are both awful.

1B is a wash. Both Choi and Snow are high OBP, low HR, good fielding first-basemen.

2B is a slight edge for LA, with old Kent being slightly better than old Durham.

SS is a wash. Izturis and Vizquel are both good-fielding bad OBP guys.

3B is a significant edge for the Giants. Alfonzo/Feliz may not be great, but Valentin has a .287 OBP.

OF depends on when Bonds comes back. At the moment it is a significant edge for the Dodgers, as Drew/Bradley/Whoever is better than the geriatric Grissom/Alou/Tucker. But if Bonds comes back it immediately switches to a significant edge for the Giants.

Personally I like the Giants.

But I'm biased.

Anyone else going to opening day?

Will

Jack of Arcades
04-04-2005, 09:46 PM
I was responding to your point that the Dodgers offense will be horrible. It won't be, they have plenty of above average bats.

Furthemore, the guys I listed are all competent-to-great defenders, save for maybe Choi. Depodesta and the Dodgers have put a lot of effort into their defensive evaluations. Kent, Drew, and Valentin are some of the top at their position.

The Giants, on the other hand, have a horrible defense, the bright spots being Matheny, Snow, and Durham. However, when it comes to their spacious outfield, they have three statues patrolling it.

jesusarenque
04-04-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was responding to your point that the Dodgers offense will be horrible. It won't be, they have plenty of above average bats.

Furthemore, the guys I listed are all competent-to-great defenders, save for maybe Choi. Depodesta and the Dodgers have put a lot of effort into their defensive evaluations. Kent, Drew, and Valentin are some of the top at their position.

The Giants, on the other hand, have a horrible defense, the bright spots being Matheny, Snow, and Durham. However, when it comes to their spacious outfield, they have three statues patrolling it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Giants are being seriously overrated. This year will prove just how great Bonds has been over the last few years. The Giants are not a good team at all, but they have managed to stay in contention the last few years on the back of Bonds (and Schmidt). If Bonds misses significant time this year, things will get very, very ugly for the Giants.

Jack of Arcades
04-04-2005, 09:55 PM
This is a bad way to evaluate a team's advantage over another yet it's the most common way. A few quibbles.

Matheny is historically bad, he'll have a very bad season next year. Ross shouldn't be embarrassing.

Jose Valentin had a down year last year, but was still about an average hitter for his position. He'll be switching to 3B but should be around an average hitter while being a great defender.

Ianco15
04-04-2005, 10:33 PM
You have the Rockies above the Giants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No.