Both great communicators

Both men of strong principle

Both saw the true evils of the Communist system

Both applied true pressure to end Communism

Both deserve the most credit for ending European Communism

Both more deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize than most who have been awarded it

Both assassination targets in 1981

Both died within a year of each other

Both have made the world a much better place to live in.

Thank you, Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II.

vulturesrow
04-03-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The similarities between Reagan and John Paul II:

Both actors

Both great communicators

Both men of strong principle

Both saw the true evils of the Communist system

Both applied true pressure to end Communism

Both more deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize than most who have been awarded it

Both assassination targets in 1981

Both died within a year of each other

Both have made the world a much better place to live in.

Thank you, Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hear hear.

MelchyBeau
04-03-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm confused about this 'actor' bit with JPII. Could you please inform me.

Melch

zaxx19
04-03-2005, 08:06 PM
I think he did theater in his youth...

Im no popaphile though.

Dead
04-03-2005, 11:01 PM
One key difference:

The Pope is almost certainly in heaven.

Ronald Reagan is quite possibly in hell.

I'll let others elaborate.

vulturesrow
04-03-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One key difference:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll elaborate. Dead is talking out of his ass again

CCass
04-03-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One key difference:

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many Christians who might argue that the Pope is in Hell, as he would fall under the heading of "False Teacher".

vulturesrow
04-04-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One key difference:

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many Christians who might argue that the Pope is in Hell, as he would fall under the heading of "False Teacher".

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some that believe that. I seriously doubt they are right.

Dead
04-04-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One key difference:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry.

I think you chose the wrong link from your favorites.

Perhaps you meant to visit the website of the Ku Klux Klan. Their catholic bashing will suit you just fine, mr. protestant man.

Dead
04-04-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One key difference:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll elaborate. Dead is talking out of his ass again

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't know how anyone could dare to compare the two. Reagan was a stupid politician. Papa John Paul was an uncanonized saint on this Earth.

sam h
04-04-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the people who actually led the reform movements inside the Soviet bloc?

lastchance
04-04-2005, 01:16 AM
No, you're all wrong. 10 to 1 says there is no such thing as hell. 50 to 1 says that there is no such thing as Judeo-Christian hell.

vulturesrow
04-04-2005, 01:55 AM
Dead,

I guess my beef was with your statement that Reagan is most likely in Hell..what makes you think something like that?

Dead
04-04-2005, 02:01 AM
Iran-Contra, selling arms to terrorist nations, trading arms for hostages, retreating from terrorists in Beirut, lying to Congress, financing an illegal war in Nicaragua, visiting Bitburg cemetery(where NAZI SS are buried), just to name a few reasons.

And his reaction to the AIDS situation. AIDS was first reported in the medical and popular press in 1981. It took Reagan 6 years to speak publicly about the deadly disease. By then, almost 60,000 cases had been reported, and almost half of those people had died. Why did Reagan ignore it? Probably because he didn't want to piss off his evangelical, Republican, conservative, anti-catholic supporters.

CCass
04-04-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One key difference:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry.

I think you chose the wrong link from your favorites.

Perhaps you meant to visit the website of the Ku Klux Klan. Their catholic bashing will suit you just fine, mr. protestant man.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said the pope is in Hell, nor that I thought that is where he should/would go. You offered your opinion that the pope was more than likely in heaven, and Reagan in Hell. I offered a possible alternative.

I didn't know the KKK had a website, but I am sure Robert Byrd can get you the link if you need it.

MtSmalls
04-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Dead points out a particularly important link between these two men. They are without a doubt the two most powerful men that not only did the least to help stop the spread of AIDS, but in both cases, by fiat or negligence may have promoted the spread of the disease. Throught his years as Pope, John Paul II continually equated the distribution of condoms in Africa and SE Asia with "evil". With AIDS rates in these two areas of the world now well above 50%, how many people could have been saved, and how many children would still have their parents, if these two men acted in the best interest of man, rather than political or religious dogma?

sirio11
04-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Could you elaborate how the condemnation of comdoms by the pope stoped the distribution of them in Africa?

MtSmalls
04-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Of course it did not STOP the distribution of condoms in either area, but particularly in Africa, the inability for the catholic missionaries to distribute them, or any other charity or organization THROUGH them drastically hindered the overall effect.

Dead
04-04-2005, 07:04 PM
How do you propose to convince them?

Stan the man
04-04-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Andrei Sakharov (http://www.time.com/time/time100/heroes/profile/sakharov01.html) 6

Ronald Reagan 0

KJS
04-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Only 1 saw the true evils of unfettered capitalism as well.

KJS

zaxx19
04-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Iran-Contra, selling arms to terrorist nations..

Why when two terrorist or evil regimes are killing eachother it seems VERY attractive to keep them killing eachother in great numbers doesnt it??

Does to me.

Dead
04-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Could you put a little more effort into making your posts understandable?

Thanks.

KellyRae
04-05-2005, 12:43 AM
"I didn't know the KKK had a website, but I am sure Robert Byrd can get you the link if you need it."

Robert Byrd was with the KKK? - the roar of the media is deafening. How shocking.

natedogg
04-05-2005, 12:47 AM
Troll. Obvious troll. The true art of trolling employs more subtlety my friend.

natedogg

natedogg
04-05-2005, 02:23 AM
mtsmalls and dead,

You guys both assume that only govt is capable of addressing things like an AIDS problem, so you criticize Reagan for not responding to it sooner with govt programs and lots of funding, as if without those we'd all be helplessly standing around contracting AIDS this very minute.....

natedogg

MtSmalls
04-05-2005, 11:16 AM
As the most advanced and wealthiest nation on this planet, yes, it falls largely on the U.S. and organizations like the U.N. to "promote the general welfare" of its citizens.

It's tragic in this country that we spend more money on perfecting different versions of the same boner pill than we do on AIDS, MS, or breast cancer. Unfettered capitalism will lead us down that path. True compassion would lead down the other.

Kaz The Original
04-05-2005, 03:37 PM
When I read the title I was hoping someone else had been pondering the loss of both Hunter S. and the Pope in such a short period of time.

Grisgra
04-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Don't forget that both had long, torrid affairs with Dabney Coleman. Kind of freaky, now that I think about it.