PDA

View Full Version : Risktaking in WSOP Satellites

number5858
04-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Yesterday, I played in the $100 buy-in WSOP satellite on Paradise and was confronted with the decision to race early twice. The first time was on about the 7th hand. I was dealt AQ suited in late position and knew I was going up against a probable JJ-99 from early position. I decided that since only the winner gets a seat, I was willing to race earlier in the tournament then I normally would. A few hands later, I was dealt QQ and figured I was up against an AK and made the same decision. I was right about the hands, but lost both races.

Am I correct that you are better off gambling in a tournament structure like this since only the top position counts?

CardSharpCook
04-03-2005, 03:21 PM
I think it is a common fallacy. You are trying to play the final table at your starting table. Play one table at a time. You won't win it all at the first table you play at no matter how many times you accept being a 5:4 dog.

CSC

Jurollo
04-03-2005, 03:32 PM
CSC is right. Essentially play the same as you normally would. Being shortstacked at the final table is an ok place to be because it can be easily remedied.
~Justin

-Oz-
04-03-2005, 10:08 PM
When there is only one prize in a tournament (correct assumption here?) your strategy is pretty straightforward: take any +EV situation that comes along.

I suspect that the money in the pot made your plays +EV in both cases once you had the information to know what the situation was. It sounds like you made the right plays to me.

-Oz-