PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL 2005 NEW YORK YANKEES BASEBALL THREAD

Dead
04-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Welcome to the official 2005 New York Yankees Baseball thread

Since it seems we have a few Yankee fans on these boards, it fitting.

Voltron told me to start this one. We hope to keep this thread updated regularly.

For those who don't know, a good place for Yankees discussion is at http://forums.nyyfans.com/

For those who don't know, this is another huge year for the Yankees. Like most teams a cut above teams like the Royals, Devil Rays, Mariners, and Cleveland, the Yankees really only have a chance to contend for a championship ring about once every year.

Opening Night is tonight, and the first game of the season kicks off at 8:05 pm on YES and ESPN2, with the New York Yankees facing off against the Boston Red Sox, live from the House that Ruth Built. For those of us in the tri state area, we should see the game on YES. For the rest of you, you can see it on ESPN2.

The pitching matchup is as follows:

Randy Johnson vs David Wells

Here is an interesting fact:

This is the 27th time the Yankees and Red Sox will meet in their season opener. New York leads Boston 15-10-1 in opening games, including 11-6-1 at home.

It should be a good game.

Pray for good weather though, because it is rainy in NYC.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/education/units/images/jeter_derek.jpg

http://members.cox.net/cowboyswin/A-Rod-2shots.jpg

http://www.onlinesports.com/images/phf-aagi085.jpg

http://www.nj.com/yankees/175_pic/0111ap_unit.jpg

Clarkmeister
04-03-2005, 12:33 PM
You are late. MEBenhoe started one yesterday. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Dead
04-03-2005, 12:34 PM
MEbenhoe doesn't get to start the official one. Dude doesn't even live in NY. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And this one is going to be the official one. It's the one that Voltron and I will post in.

Clarkmeister
04-03-2005, 12:35 PM
You're such a hater. Just admit you started it late and move along.

Dead
04-03-2005, 12:36 PM
No. I will be back to post in this thread later tonight.

Clarkmeister
04-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Ultimately gay.

Dead
04-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Hardly.

What is lame is that MEbenhoe started it earlier this morning, when Voltron clearly already called dibs on it last week.

And he told me to start it via PM.

There can be no doubt about which is the authentic Yankee thread. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

jason_t
04-03-2005, 12:40 PM
This thread sucks.

Clarkmeister
[ QUOTE ]

There can be no doubt about which is the authentic Yankee thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

This much we agree on.

sublime
[ QUOTE ]
Here is an interesting fact:

This is the 27th time the Yankees and Red Sox will meet in their season opener. New York leads Boston 15-10-1 in opening games, including 11-6-1 at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

the ineresting part being........?

Lazymeatball
04-03-2005, 12:41 PM
http://www.cyberschnauzer.com/awful/thread_sucks.jpg

and you turned it into a sidescrolling nightmare by not knowing how to correctly post a URL. And it's too late to edit it as you've already been quoted. DOOMED!

Dead
04-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Sigh.

Voltron87
old hand

Reged: 11/25/04
Loc: I am your father.
Re: Official UNC Final Four thread. [Re: Dead]
#2017082 - 03/27/05 06:30 PM
Edit post Edit Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote

I have dibs on the Yankee Season Thread.

sublime
04-03-2005, 12:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/sfiphil/randygrinch2.jpg

Beerfund
04-03-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sigh.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=2017124&Fo rum=,f20,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=201691 5&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=22205&daterange=1 &newerval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyp rev=#Post2017124

Voltron87
old hand

Reged: 11/25/04
Loc: I am your father.
Re: Official UNC Final Four thread. [Re: Dead]
#2017082 - 03/27/05 06:30 PM
Edit post Edit Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote

I have dibs on the Yankee Season Thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhhhhh he called DIBS! Well that changes everything. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

What, are you in 3rd grade or something? Fukc!

Dead
04-03-2005, 12:44 PM
http://img21.photobucket.com/albums/v63/jeffmshaw/varitek_a-rod.jpg

Wouldn't even take his mask off and fight like a man.

sublime
04-03-2005, 12:45 PM
you are such a clown

Dead
04-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Giambi pulls a switch (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050402&content_id=997076&vkey=ne ws_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy)

Red Sox, Yankees Start Season Tonight (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050403/sp_nm/mlb_opener_dc_1)

Dead
04-03-2005, 12:47 PM
I try to avoid personal attacks, but thanks for your comments, and for bumping my thread.

Let's talk baseball, specifically Yankee ball.

Edge34
04-03-2005, 12:49 PM
http://redsox.mostvaluablenetwork.com/wp-content/images/YankeesChoke.jpg

http://arodslapsballs.com/arod-chokes.jpg

http://arodslapsballs.com/arod-slaps-from-arroyo.jpg

Dead
04-03-2005, 12:50 PM
I have fond memories of the Yankees 2004 ALDS run. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sublime
04-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Let's talk baseball, specifically Yankee ball.

i would love to, however i am quite afraid that my knowledge of the game far outwieghs yours and our discussion will end up looking like a professor trying to get a defiant student to pay attention during class.

good luck this year

jason_t
04-03-2005, 12:51 PM
And multiple "OFFICIAL 2005 NEW YORK YANKEES BASEBALL" threads is teh suck. This is OOT, not the Yes Network.

Beerfund
04-03-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No you don't, well you shouldn't anyway. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dead
Yeah ok. If all you can manage is personal attacks then that's fine. I watch every single Yankees game each year and as many of the other teams' games that I have time for. I have tens of thousands of baseball cards that I studied for hours as a kid.

But if you want to be a dick to me just because I am a Yankees fan, then go right ahead. And make sure to enjoy your new bandwagon fans.

sublime
edge-

i love watching the twins play baseball. if guardenhire (sp?) had not misused his bullpen during the ALDS last year we probably would have seen you guys in the ALCS. you guys might have your hands full with the indians this year.

Dead
04-03-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did somebody mix up the ALCS and ALDS?

sublime
04-03-2005, 12:54 PM
having an 'official thread' for a season that lasts at least 6 months is gay also.

sublime
04-03-2005, 12:55 PM

the NYY didnt exactly walk all over the twins last year. i am sure torre felt fortunate that he outmanaged his counterpart by a wide margin.

Voltron87
04-03-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
having an 'official thread' for a season that lasts at least 6 months is gay also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you rather have this or 500 different Yankee threads... it's a matter of forum decorum.

Voltron87
04-03-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ALDS =/= ALCS

Dead
04-03-2005, 12:58 PM
Maybe you didn't see game 2.

The game was almost over, and the Yankees looked screwed, but it went to extra innings, and the Yankees won it in the 12th, thanks to Matsui's sac fly. If the Yankees had gone down 0-2, they would have been screwed. They came back to tie the series at 1 each, and then won the next two games. It was impressive.

trying2learn
04-03-2005, 01:00 PM
games 4,5,6 & 7 of the alcs were impressive...there's a difference. do you see why?

Edge34
04-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Sublime,

Being a Twins fan is a lot like being a Boston fan was the last few years (with the obvious exception of 04)....

No matter how good our team looked, no matter how sure we were that this was the year we were gonna break through....we knew, in the back of our minds, something would go awry.

Gardy did mess up terribly with the pen, but I can't knock the guy too much for how he's done since taking over for Tom Kelly. As for Cleveland, I'm not too worried about them. Our pitching is back and Mauer is too. The AL Central is getting better, no doubt, but the Twinkies are still the class of the division. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm gonna stop bumping this one up now /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dead
04-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Who cares? Voltron and I are going to keep bumping it.

And why are we talking about the Twins and the Red Sox in a Yankee thread? Start a Twins thread, unless it concerns a Yankees/Twins game.

Beerfund
04-03-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was implying that the ALDS just set the Yankees up for the biggest embarrassment in baseball history and therefor should not be looked upon with fond remerence by Derek Jeter lovers.

Dead
04-03-2005, 01:04 PM
No. The biggest embarrassment in baseball history was the Black Sox scandal, not the collapse of the Yankees.

sublime
04-03-2005, 01:05 PM
For those who don't know, this is another huge year for the Yankees. Like most teams a cut above teams like the Royals, Devil Rays, Mariners, and Cleveland, the Yankees really only have a chance to contend for a championship ring about once every year.

i hate to burst your bubble btw, but the yankees are not nearly as good as they look to the 'average' fan.

first and foremost they are VERY old. the 'average' age of thier staring lineup is 33 years old. compare that to the RS, who have only one everyday player 33 or older.

riveras health HAS to be a a growing a concern. stanton has not been effective in at leat two years and quantrill and karsay are question marks. still a formidle bunch i agree, but it ALL hinges on river staying healthy.

the giambis far outweigh the jeters, if you know what i mean. although adding tino was a great move imo.

also, i dont know if anybody realized it, but the yankess have NO commodoties when july rolls around. ofc they still have loads of cash, but backdoor trades are not wasy to complete (witness last year with RJ)

trying2learn
04-03-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No. The biggest embarrassment in baseball history was the Black Sox scandal, not the collapse of the yankees .

[/ QUOTE ]

those last four games (the last two in YANKEE STADIUM for crying out loud) was easily the biggest embarrassment in baseball. the black sox and pete rose and steroids are what you called them - scandals.

the choke of all chokes belongs to your pinstripes.

Dead
This Yankees team is much better than last year's team.

The rotation is very formidable. For all the question marks we have, you have just as many.

Miller and Schilling are very questionable, as is Wells.

Mussina is poised to have a fantastic year this year, and I predict the same for Pavano and Wells. I have no reason to think that RJ won't continue to be healthy for most of the year.

The big question mark is really Brown, but we have backups like Sturtze if necessary.

Voltron87
Time for a post actually about baseball...

I think we had a great off season, made the acquisitions and George didn't do anything crazy. I'm pretty happy we didn't go hard for Beltran, I think he is overpriced and unproven. Not good enough to be our CF for 8 years or whatever, I would have been happy with a short contract... but Boras would have none of that. And pitching aquisitions... what more could we ask for.

I think we'll win 100+ games and the division again, no doubt about that. Boston is pretty hobbled, our rotation is much better (if it stays together). I'm really looking for Arod to have a big year, play like a Yankee. Not much more to say right now.

Beerfund
04-03-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No. The biggest embarrassment in baseball history was the Black Sox scandal, not the collapse of the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Atleast the Blacksox accomplished something (not that it really makes it better) but the Yankees just quit. THE most pathetic display of "baseball" ever witnessed. Kinda sad really.... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

sublime
04-03-2005, 01:08 PM
i saw the whole series man. winning is what matters, i agree, but the yankees were fortunate that gardy made some management errors. not saying they would have lost if not for that, but it wasnt 'impressive'. the sox sweeping the best hitting lineup in baseball was impressive /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Dead
04-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Good post man.

I also believe that A-Rod will have an awesome year, just like 2001-2003 in Texas.

Last year was his first year in NY, and he was so focused on learning a new position. I look for him to hit about 300, with 50(that's right, 50) homers and 130 RBI's. I look for Sheffield to be about the same, but with about 10 less homers.

Jeter won't slump as bad as he did last year, and his average should be over 300 again. He will get his 70+ RBI's again and will probably get around 20 hr's.

Our leadoff guy is also much better this year. Jeter is not really meant to be a leadoff man. I'm much happier with him hitting second in our formidable map while Womack gets on base and provides opportunities for our 3-4-5- guys.

Voltron87
04-03-2005, 01:11 PM
I really don't care about the two threads, I was thinking of starting a thread so I called dibs in a reply to dead, but that was mostly between me and him. I think Dead and Mbenhoe should just flip an internet coin or whatever, it really doesn't matter. Both threads looks well made enough.

Dead
04-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Sounds good to me.

ethan
04-03-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Voltron87
04-03-2005, 01:18 PM
I definitely think we are a much, much more solid team, and all the weaknesses people are talking about are less weaknesses than "not allstars at every postion."

SP

Johnson
Mussina
Wright
Pavano
Brown/Sturtze

Gordon/Quantrill
Rivera

I'm not seeing the major weaknesses there. You can say any rotation is weak by talking about age and injury. Sure, these guys won't all be around in 5 years but this season I'm not worried.

BA

Womack
Jeter
Arod
Sheff
Matsui
Jorge
Bernie
Tino/Ruben/Giambi

Looks good to me, weakness where?

Saying, "Oh, Giambi has issues, etc" doesn't really worry me, we're not relying on him. If he was our 4/5 I would be really concerned, but he isn't, so I don't see why epople are talking about him as if that's what will hold us back this year.

Dead
04-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I'm not seeing all of the "problems", either.

Bernie and Posada are getting older, but Bernie is still good for a .270 season with 20 homers and a few ribbies. So is Posada.

Our offense is better than it was last year, and last year's offense was awesome. Our pitching is arguably as good as it was in 2003, and our offense is far superior to that 2003 offense.

We have excellent power with the bats and speed on the basepaths.

I'm very sure that we'll break 100 wins this season. 106 would be my guess as of now.

siccjay
04-03-2005, 01:26 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/jaydeuce/pumpkinsuc.jpg

tbach24
04-03-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bernie is still good for a .270 season with 20 homers and a few ribbies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I think this is the way Cashman looks at players too.

Dead
04-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Riiight. I don't think you know how Cashman looks at players.

MarkL444
04-03-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
edge-

i love watching the twins play baseball. if guardenhire (sp?) had not misused his bullpen during the ALDS last year we probably would have seen you guys in the ALCS. you guys might have your hands full with the tigers this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

tbach24
04-03-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Riiight. I don't think you know how Cashman looks at players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it was a joke but it does reflect the innefficiency of some of the moves the Yankees make.

Dead
04-03-2005, 01:53 PM
All teams make at least a few inefficient moves(some make more). I think that Cashman has done a fantastic job as GM, however.

Edge34
04-03-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
edge-

i love watching the twins play baseball. if guardenhire (sp?) had not misused his bullpen during the ALDS last year we probably would have seen you guys in the ALCS. you guys might have your hands full with the tigers this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. Right...

The Tigers stand approximately a 0.01% chance of doing anything meaningful this season.

Dead
04-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Must be nice for the Twins to be in such an easy division. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

White Sox will drop off this year, as will the Royals and the Tigers. Cleveland will be better this year, but they're no Boston.

Now that we have the pitching, Twins don't stand a chance against the Yanks.

MarkL444
04-03-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
edge-

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. Right...

The Tigers stand approximately a 0.01% chance of doing anything meaningful this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

define meaningful /images/graemlins/wink.gif

JoeU
04-03-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
those last four games (the last two in YANKEE STADIUM for crying out loud) was easily the biggest embarrassment in baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you are saying is that the Yankees inability to close out the Sox last year was baseball's embarassment?

That is by far the dumbest thing I've ever heard! I'm sure Sox fans would disagree that Yankee success/failure is no indication of baseball's esteem.

Did they choke? Yes. Was basesall embarassed? Hardly, in fact it is one of the major factors keeping fans coming right now. Think about it, if the Yanks win it all last year, then the steroid scandal breaks like it did, would we all be talking Yanks/Sox right now? Probably not.

Its the scandals that have enbarrassed baseball, not the Yankees. Get it right.

Joe

sublime
04-03-2005, 02:58 PM
106 would be my guess as of now.

you are either drunk or delusional. not only do the yankees have to play a very good boston team this year, but the orioles are a very decent team, along with TB ofc being improved.

i also dont recall the anybody saying the NYY are full of weaknesses. as a matter of fact i dont think they have 'any' glaring weakness. however, they are VERY old, and you seem to discount that fact as merely a sidebar. look at how the sox had to struggle a large % of 2004 w/o nixon/nomar/muellar. losing one piece of the lineup usually affects more than just that slot/position and the simple fact is that the NYY are more prone to injury that any other team in baseball due to thier age.

as for this dominate staff i keep hearing about:

johnson (no beef here. he seems to stay healthy and is a stud)

mussina (has pitched less and less each and every yare the yankees have had him, reaching a low of 164 innings last year, which was also his worst since 1996. i dont understand why you expect him to have a great year. what would lead you to belive that, when all the statistical evidance suggests otherwise?)

pavano-(great year last year, no friggin doubt about that. however he is still a relatively unprove commodity. should be ok)

wright (last time i checked leo mazzone wasnt on the yankee payroll. i mean are thier people out there who honestly expect him to pitch well in NY? looks like weaver with less skill to me)

brown- (?)

again, they are a very good team. but for the love of god get your head out of the clouds and actually dissect how 'good' they really are.

BigD226
04-03-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://img21.photobucket.com/albums/v63/jeffmshaw/varitek_a-rod.jpg

Wouldn't even take his mask off and fight like a man.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//Headline_Archives/arodslap_BDD_mh.jpg

http://www.bornintoit.com/images/2004funny/arodcrybaby.jpg

'Nuff said.

sublime
04-03-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So what you are saying is that the Yankees inability to close out the Sox last year was baseball's embarassment?

That is by far the dumbest thing I've ever heard! I'm sure Sox fans would disagree that Yankee success/failure is no indication of baseball's esteem.

Did they choke? Yes. Was basesall embarassed? Hardly, in fact it is one of the major factors keeping fans coming right now. Think about it, if the Yanks win it all last year, then the steroid scandal breaks like it did, would we all be talking Yanks/Sox right now? Probably not.

Its the scandals that have enbarrassed baseball, not the Yankees. Get it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

great post joe.

i am not a fan of this 'yankee choke' thing. granted the lost a 3-0 series lead, but the sox played some awesome baseball those last 4 games. also, lets not forget that the soc won the regular season matchup. is it possible that the better 'team' won? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Broken Glass Can
04-03-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hardly.

What is lame is that MEbenhoe started it earlier this morning, when Voltron clearly already called dibs on it last week.

And he told me to start it via PM.

There can be no doubt about which is the authentic Yankee thread. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Dead is a liberal

2) Liberals are always right (in their own minds)

3) Therefore, Dead wins the "Official Thread" argument (in his own mind)

4) It is a waste to say any more on the subject.

B00T
04-03-2005, 03:32 PM
You are fighting not to mention losing over WHO GETS TO START THE YANKEES 2005 THREAD?

ANOTHER POST WAS STARTED BEFORE YOURS.

YOU DONT CALL DIBS ON A TOPIC ON A MESSAGE BOARD

A BOX OF POP-TARTS PROVIDES ME MORE PLEASURE THAN SEEING YOUR POSTS. AND I DONT EVEN EAT POP-TARTS.

Now I'm off to go post on the real thread, you [f'n censored]

JoeU
04-03-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i am not a fan of this 'yankee choke' thing. granted the lost a 3-0 series lead, but the sox played some awesome baseball those last 4 games. also, lets not forget that the soc won the regular season matchup. is it possible that the better 'team' won?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course its possible that the better team won. Would you say they were better before the Sox made all their deadline acquisitions? However, lets get a couple of things straight about this Yanks/Sox thing:

The Sox were the better team last year, especially in the playoffs. The only team in baseball that could give them a run was the Yanks.

I think Joe Torre mis-managed Mike Mussina for Game 4 and gave him the extra day off. Creatures of habit don't do well when you change their routine.

The Yankees did choke. They had the Sox dead in the water and couldn't close out game 4 or 5.

The Sox definitely played great baseball, period. There is absolutely no arguing this.

It just drives me nuts to see so many bandwagon jumpers after the WS. I wore my Matsui jersey when I was in LA in January. I wasn't ashamed or embarrassed to wear it. I didn't see too many Red Sox jerseys after Aaron F. Boone hit the homer in game 7 in 03. Now, when I go to Foxwoods, it seems that the Sox are the only team in baseball. I've been a life long Yankee fan. Even though they s#!t the bed in the playoffs last year, they are still my favorite team, and in my opinion, still the team to beat. They have the best overall team of anyone in baseball....on paper. Thats why we play these games. Because paper doesn't win championships.

Joe

Broken Glass Can
04-03-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are fighting not to mention losing over WHO GETS TO START THE YANKEES 2005 THREAD?

ANOTHER POST WAS STARTED BEFORE YOURS.

YOU DONT CALL DIBS ON A TOPIC ON A MESSAGE BOARD

A BOX OF POP-TARTS PROVIDES ME MORE PLEASURE THAN SEEING YOUR POSTS. AND I DONT EVEN EAT POP-TARTS.

Now I'm off to go post on the real thread, you [f'n censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

The official "Dead was assigned thread starting rights by the guy who called 'Dibs'" bump. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif