PDA

View Full Version : Four way stops

Dr. Strangelove
04-03-2005, 11:25 AM
If everyone else is going to play by the rules, why should I have to? I should be able to just cruise through them without stopping.

Yeti
04-03-2005, 11:28 AM
I have no idea how a four way stop works, but I'm guessing our mini-roundabouts here are similar in a three-way-stop kind of way.

You give way to your right, but every so often you get the situation where everyone arrives at the same time and sits there like lemons.

Ok, I'm rambling on a tangent, but it's funny when it happens. Muppets.

Dr. Strangelove
04-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Two roads will intersect at a ninety degree angle, and there will be a stop sign at each of the four branches. Everyone must stop at these. You can then move through the intersection in the order that you arrived at it, if there are other cars there.

codewarrior
04-03-2005, 11:59 AM
All I know, is people in Ohio are freaking retards where a four way is concerned.

OK, most of them are retards in general, but you get the idea... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

DBowling
04-03-2005, 12:00 PM
the problems are blind spots. if a stopped car cannot see you coming at 30-40 mph, and decides to move into your path, its unlikely youll be able to stop in time to avoid a collision.

not to mention that if the attitude that "hey he just cruised through this, im going to next time too" spreads, its obvious that problems would arise.

ceyoung
04-03-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If everyone else is going to play by the rules, why should I have to? I should be able to just cruise through them without stopping.

[/ QUOTE ]

i say go for it. post a trip report from your hospital bed afterwards.

jakethebake
04-03-2005, 01:23 PM
I hate the people that don't follow the simple take-turns method. They want to let someone go, but they don't go, so the other peron starts to go, then the other person starts to go, then they both stop, then both go. Meanwhile eveyone not involved in this stupidity is waiting.

Allan
04-03-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All I know, is people in Ohio are freaking retards where a four way is concerned.

2;

[/ QUOTE ]

Right and don't even get me started on when the power goes out and the street signals aren't working.

Allan

Brainwalter
04-03-2005, 02:44 PM
There are lots of laws/customs for which things would work fine if "everyone else" followed them but not "me."

youtalkfunny
04-03-2005, 02:54 PM
I didn't think Steve Martin's "LA Story" was a particularly good movie, but I did enjoy the 4-way stop sign scene (four cars arrive at the same time; all wave the others on; all gun it, and slam into each other).

willie
04-03-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that an officer of the law would certainly agree with your assessment of the situation.

Emmitt2222
04-03-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

OK, most of them are retards in general, but you get the idea... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't be more true, Ohio people have no freakin clue what to do at these things. A person gets to the line before I do so they have the right of way but then they just sit there and eventually wave me through. If they all just went when they were suppose to we wouldnt have a problem and it would go smoothly. Anyway, why do they have 4way stops, can't all of them just by 2way and it would always work?

Nick-Zack
04-03-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea how a four way stop works, but I'm guessing our mini-roundabouts here are similar in a three-way-stop kind of way.

[/ QUOTE ]

These roundabout things are scary. I have only been driving once (in the Bahamas) when I had to navigate them and was very nervous trying to figure it out. Of course driving on the side of the road where I knew I was going to get creamed at any moment didn't help either.

Jack of Arcades
04-03-2005, 04:37 PM
That wouldn't work in heavy traffic areas. Also, it's used in neighborhoods for safety reasons.

Patrick del Poker Grande
04-03-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All I know, is people in Ohio are freaking retards

[/ QUOTE ]

Dr. Strangelove
04-03-2005, 04:39 PM
I'm joking, for the humor impaired. There are a few 4 ways where I live that have totally unobstructed sight lines. I just think it's funny that as long as everyone else obeys the rule I could just run the things.

David04
04-03-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

2;

[/ QUOTE ]

Right and don't even get me started on when the power goes out and the street signals aren't working.

Allan

[/ QUOTE ]
That happened yesterday. A 10 minute trip to the store took about 25 because of the morons who can't figure anything out.

What part of Ohio are you guys from?