PDA

View Full Version : I am running into a lot of players on the bubble

SNOWBALL138
04-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Typically, there would be a bunch of bust outs all in a row around level 4 or so. Recently, I've seen 5-6 players at level 5-6 just ducking and weaving around. This is at the 11 level. Yikes! The fish are evolving into amphibians!

I'm not saying that the players are getting better or anything. I'm just reporting my observations over the last 150 SNGs or so.

Am I crazy? I think theredpill is onto something. Someone tell me I'm wrong.

theredpill5
04-03-2005, 10:25 AM
The players are getting better. I played about 10 SNG's tonight and about 7 of those were absolute WARS on the bubble.

SNOWBALL138
04-03-2005, 10:44 AM
The games that I was in were pretty nuts. My strategy of tight early, and aggressive late wasn't good enough for a decent ITM.

Before, late game aggression needed to only be sustained for a small amount of time b/c late game situations were 4 players or so. With more players in the late game, it seems like you really have to find some way to accumulate chips earlier.

Maybe I'm just crazy. All I can say is that playing super-tight early and aggro late hasn't been -EV for me in a big ugly expensive way.

If this keeps up, I won't be able to 4 table b4 formulating a new approach /images/graemlins/frown.gif

theredpill5
04-03-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm just crazy. All I can say is that playing super-tight early and aggro late hasn't been -EV for me in a big ugly expensive way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean has been - EV for you ? You mean it isn't working ?

Vish
04-03-2005, 10:58 AM
How soon are you getting desperate? Lately, I've been trying to delay my desperation point a bit. I'm pushing more at level 5 than level 4, and it seems to be working well. I think I had way too many 5-7 finishes because I thought with 6-8 blinds at level 4 I'd need to steal. I played a few multis last month and trying to survive in those made me less push-crazy in the middle stage of SNGs. Play like there are two bubbles: there's a bubble to get to the bubble, and once this first one breaks you turn on the first level of aggression.