PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you dislike both Illinois and UNC?

Tyler Durden
04-03-2005, 06:05 AM
I really enjoy watching the NCAA championship every year, it's my second favorite sporting event to the Super Bowl.

But I've hated UNC for years, b/c they have so many fans that have nothing to do w/ the school or even the state of North Carolina. Lots of people just liked them a long time ago b/c they were a very good team year in and year out. Am I wrong? I doubt it. I rarely am.

And now I dislike Illinois a lot b/c ppl in OOT are always talking about them and that gets sickening and irritating after a while.

So who else is in this boat? We may have to invent a Championship drinking game in order to cope.

NLSoldier
04-03-2005, 06:11 AM
Well since you hate UNC, every time they score, you should take a drink.

And since you hate Illinois, every time they score, you should take a drink.....

Sounds good to me.

Tyler Durden
04-03-2005, 06:20 AM
Brilliant!!

groo
04-03-2005, 01:17 PM
You could make obnoxious/distasteful posts about whoever is losong at the time. Kind of a mirror of the Illinois fans /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TaxGoddess
04-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Not to be annoying, but....UNC almna '95 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/emlyb/1heel.jpg

Tyler Durden
04-03-2005, 06:14 PM
bump

pshreck
04-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Durden, the reason why the game is good even if you aren't a fan is

1) They are both amazing teams and the game will be great.

2) For both teams, the season will be a bust if they lose. Don't try and argue that UNC or Illinois will be happy with their season without a championship. I think it's rare that that is the case in a championship game, but it will make it all that much sweeter when one of these teams finally loses.

Corey
04-03-2005, 06:19 PM
I think the clear answer is put some money on the over/under that way you have a vested financial interest without having to root for a specific team.

CCass
04-03-2005, 11:24 PM
I don't like either team. I am going to Cheer for UNC so I can give Clark [censored] about his Illini choking when I get to Vegas in June.

Clarkmeister
04-03-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like either team. I am going to Cheer for UNC so I can give Clark [censored] about his Illini choking when I get to Vegas in June.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad because even if they lose I am deliriously grateful to this team for the wonderful season and memories they've given me. If they'd have lost to Arizona I'd have been angry, but now? Now it's all I could've asked for. Win lose or draw, I am so proud of this team.

brassnuts
04-03-2005, 11:32 PM
I used to wear a UNC hat when I sold weed in high school.

sfer
04-03-2005, 11:52 PM
Ever heard of reading?

Clarkmeister
04-04-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've hated UNC for years, b/c they have so many fans that have nothing to do w/ the school or even the state of North Carolina.

And now I dislike Illinois a lot b/c (lifelong diehard fans and University graduates) in OOT are always talking about them and that gets sickening and irritating after a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you hate the team with the bandwagoners, and hate the team with the die-hards who all went to school there. Brilliant! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

sam h
04-04-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Too bad because even if they lose I am deliriously grateful to this team for the wonderful season and memories they've given me. If they'd have lost to Arizona I'd have been angry, but now? Now it's all I could've asked for. Win lose or draw, I am so proud of this team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a Larry Brown impersonation?

Plus, the winning-it-all aspect is still huge, whether or not one is proud of them either way.

BottlesOf
04-04-2005, 12:36 AM
BO-RING!

bugstud
04-04-2005, 12:38 AM
I dunno, root for the team I like?

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I liked the betting on the O/U part of it

Dead
04-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Maybe Clark is downplaying the Illini now so that he doesn't get ribbed as much.

ClarkNasty
04-04-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe Clark is downplaying the Illini now so that he doesn't get ribbed as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no. Read the season thread from start to finish and I think that'll be clear.

Seriously, even an improbable bad loss won't make me feel any less proud and happy of this team and season. We are one last second 3-pt shot from being 38-0, that's something I'll never forget. Plus, advancing past the final four erases all the bad memories of 89.

No, I will always be proud of this team. Anyone who thinks that teasing me if we lose to Carolina will bother me is sorely mistaken.

nolanfan34
04-04-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What can he get ribbed about? His team isn't even favored, people are EXPECTING NC to win.

If there's a "ha ha, take that Clark, bugstud, cubswin" thread if they lose tomorrow, all that will do is confirm the idiots on here. There's a difference between having pride in your team, and talking smack to everyone. These guys don't talk smack, they just are enjoying the season, IMO.

Dead
04-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Clark has talked plenty of smack about almost every team I can think of, save a few.

[ QUOTE ]
What can he get ribbed about? His team isn't even favored, people are EXPECTING NC to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 2 point margin is nothing. It's one basket.

Clarkmeister
04-04-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Clark has talked plenty of smack about almost every team I can think of, save a few.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I did say that Illinois and UNC were the only teams that could win the tournament. Multiple times. All season long. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

That said, I *am* allowed to have an opinion as a lover of college hoops and a sports fan. It just happened this is one of the few times I was 100% right, unlike earlier in the year when I was delusional and thought the Big East was the best conference in the country this year.

Dead
04-04-2005, 01:11 AM
I still cannot believe that IL got past Louisville. Louisville was the better team imo.

nolanfan34
04-04-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I still cannot believe that IL got past Louisville. Louisville was the better team imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen, I'm a Syracuse fan too, but you honestly thought they could win it all, so your judgment is a little suspect at this point.

Clarkmeister
04-04-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen, I'm a Syracuse fan too, but you honestly thought they could win it all, so your judgment is a little suspect at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also suspect when he says that after a 15 point loss where Rick Pitino, the coach, who knows a little more about basketball than Dead, said after the game "if we played 10 times, they win at least 8 of them - they are definitely the better team."

bugstud
04-04-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If there's a "ha ha, take that Clark, bugstud, cubswin" thread if they lose tomorrow, all that will do is confirm the idiots on here. There's a difference between having pride in your team, and talking smack to everyone. These guys don't talk smack, they just are enjoying the season, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

superb

I will be upset if they lose. Depends on how they play, but they've accomplished a lot this year and they've proved their worth. I'm glad they get to face the other great team from during the season and get to yell my ass off at the game tomorrow.

Dead
04-04-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they were definitely capable, yes. Many people had Cuse in the FF.

Dead
04-04-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rick Pitino, the coach, who knows a little more about basketball than Dead

[/ QUOTE ]

But Rick doesn't know as much as Clark. Clark knew Illinois was going to win the game all along.

If Marvin Williams is ON tomorrow night, Illini fans are going to be awful sad.