PDA

View Full Version : Move Up or Wait?

LeVoodoo
04-03-2005, 06:03 AM
I can't decide whether or not it is time to move up from the pokerroom 10's, to the 20's. My bankroll is sufficient (or close to it), but my experience is limted.

I've played the 5's for 6 months, only in the last two have i started to take them seriously. Feb 28th, I decided I'd build my bankroll to $330 then move to the 10's. One month and ~55 tourneys later, I was there. Next step was to hit the 20's when i hit 700. Five days and 39 tourneys later, I am there. (FYI, I play one table at a time)

What's my next move? Should I grind it out at the 10's until I've played a statistically significant amount of tourneys (~500) from which I can make a proper analysis of my game? Or, do I move up immediately and just drop back to the 10's if my roll drops back to ~600 (then rebuild it to 700 and move up again; rinse and repeat).

I can post any stats that would help reach a decision, but i'm not so sure they matter after a hundred tourneys, so i won't bother unless asked to (to avoid a thrashing ).
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

WebGuySteve
04-03-2005, 06:08 AM
I think that the decision to move up is one you have to make yourself. Your bankroll can handle it, and that is really all we can answer. You should play at whatever level you feel comfortable with, and that you feel you can beat. Give some of the 20s a try, see how you do.

I like to ask myself this question: If I try and fail, what do I lose? A couple hundred bucks? But if I succeed, what is the potential? If the potential outweighs the couple hundred bucks if you fail, I say go for it! Then you won't be asking yourself "What if"

I do want to say that I think risking a bankroll of a few hundred bucks like this is ok, but...risking one of say 10,000 or so on the $215s which took you a few years to build...that might not be so smart. Use your best judgement! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Patriarch
04-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Mix it up. If you normally play 10 $11s a day, switch to 5 $11s and 5 $22s.

Rolen
04-03-2005, 09:00 AM
If I were you, i'd give multi-tabling a try at the 10+1s before you move up. It's really not difficult once you've done it a few times and the effect on your bankroll is amazing! If you can work your way up slowly from 1 to 4 tables at a time, expect your ROI to decrease a little and your profit to increase by a LOT.

**10% ROI 4 tabling = twice as much profit as 20% ROI 'singling'.**

That way you can build a 20+2 bakroll, separate from your regular one, and try them out without risking anything. And you could do it in a few days!

Trainwreck
04-03-2005, 11:12 AM
I think you'll find $30+3's and under all play very similar, so if you're fine on $10's, take a shot at a say 5 $20's and 2 30's... if that little taste doesn't give you the info you need of if you get your butt kicked, stick to $10's for a little while longer.

Always take a shot...

>TW<